Orange Crush hits it 's last trail!

• Well if you read Andrew's post on the trail report you know that I was able to do Voodoo. But it came at a terrible cost. After Andrew got his axle fixed they decided to get off the trail and head back but Brian and I were ahead of everyone else in line so we continued on. We both made it through but when I got to the access road I realized that something was not right. When I hit the gas there was a bump in the back so I knew I had broken something. So I pulled off the road and checked and sure enough did I ever. Total damage is the following and I still don't know how I did it all.

Rear of jeep

Broke one axle u-bolt on each side
    Bent the other two
    Twisted both springs over too the left
    Bent the frame under where front right hanger connects to it
    Front hanger nearly ripped from frame

Front of jeep

Twisted axle over to the passenger side (not sure if springs are bent)
    Ripped spring hanger along with shackle completely off frame (drivers side)

So far in my 14 months of wheeling I have been able to fix all breaks by the next wheeling event. These included everything from axles, u-joints, tranny's and T-cases. But this one takes the cake. My jeep has been through a lot and it is starting to show on many places. I had planned to rebuild it with a new/used frame and wrangler tub this coming fall and winter. Now it looks like that time frame may have to be bumped up a whole season. Which will mean that my jeep and maybe me will be out of the wheeling scene for all summer. Maybe even into the fall.

Now to the modification portion of this thread.

If I am going to rebuild my jeep with a better frame and newer galvanized wrangler tub then I might as well go all the way and put a full cage in it too. I plan on keeping all the running gear the same (worked well so far). Might change the transmission to a T-5 so I can get an overdrive. I also will be keeping the cj front clip along with everything that will say it is a cj (tailgate, dash, and so forth) and of course the most important one of all the color. If anyone has done a wrangler tub swap I could use some info or ideas. Also the cage I could use some ideas on too. I would like too tie it into the frame along with the seats.

This is going to be a long project and I will keep posting the progress.

ps: I will get pictures soon of the carnage.

Tom (temporarly jeepless)

• RIP it was so sad to see you back it on the trailer...but we know it went on under its own power. im sure the orangecrush series II will live up to the reputation.

dave

• hey tom are you planing on useing a cj frame or a yj frame? I have read lots of articles on the yj tub swap to a cj frame and it shouldnt be to diffulcult if a thing to do. If you are going ot use a yj frame and tub be sure to do a 2 in body lift it makes putting the cj front clip on a breeze. this is whatI had to do along with raise the radiator to clear the steering gear box. honestly If i had to do it all over again i would just start over with a running yj. I really regret getting in this deep of a project it has taken all of my time.

• Sad to hear the CJ is going down. Is the T-5 going to be up for the beating you hand out? On another note if you tie the cage and seats to the frame just make sure you also tie your belts/harness to the frame otherwise if the tub and frame felx differently you could get pinched!!! (just my $.02)

• RIP :sad:

scince your going to use yj stuff (Welcome to the dark side :vader:) why not make a frame? then it can be what ever you want it to be.
    or if you do use a yj frame, just move the body mounts up so you dont have to use a body lift?

just a few ideas to make it a little harder for you :mrgreen:

• In old England, when the King died, his eldest son was immediately crowned. That's where we get, "the King is dead, long live the King". At the instant one dies, the next is identified.

So, "Orange Crush is dead, long live Orange Crush!"

We'll all see the post sooner than we think...

"I fired up the new Orange Crush today... see you all at the meeting tomorrow!"

or

"The new and improved Orange Crush hit Paragon today..."

...don't forget the pix!

DrJ

• I think it will be more like "The new improved Orange LATTE.." instead of the same old Orange Crush. :rollsmile:

I'm sorry to hear you are retiring her. It was one of my favorites in the club. If you need any help give me a call. I have some steal, a CJ floor mount roll bar and am willing to help out where I can.

Look out NIKKI! Tom will be borrowing your Jeep NOW!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sorry to hear about your luck :sad: Its always hard to let go of an old friend.. Good luck with your new and improved jeep.
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Tom

Sorry to hear about [size=18px]OC[/size]. I know it's sad to see her go. But she will live again, :new: and improved.

Same spirit, different body. :smile:

• Quote from "Slimer"

Look out NIKKI! Tom will be borrowing your Jeep NOW!

NOT!!!!! But if he wants to use my yj for his new project, he could always get me a TJ!!! But I doubt that will happen.

• I know where there is a chevy dana 44 with flat top knuckles and a matching 12 bolt for $300 with 3.73 gears would mount up in a yj frame real nice.

• Tom I have a YJ frame and Burned up tub if you need them. I'll sell the frame cheap. The tub or parts is free. It has an ok tailgate otherwise its shot. PM me if interested. If you need anything else If I dont have it I know some one who does. I also have freinds who build race cars and they did my cage cheap (its tied into the frame). Good luck with the rebuild.

• Tony,
    Tom just bought some real nice axles not long ago. i am hoping he is using them in the new project.
    But Gavan might be intrested in the front 44, i'll let him know about it

• The frame I will be using is one of the two I already have. Both are in great shape and are cj7 frames. The front clip will come from several of the parts jeeps and orange crush. All bolt ons like seats, hinges, brackets, bumpers and so forth will be coming off of orange crush. The reason I'm going with a cj frame is to cut down on the work involved. For apperiences anyone who has seen my jeep will think I just gave it a new paint job when it is done. Probably get started on stripping one of the parts jeeps down to it's frame this weekend.

I am thinking about throwing my T-case from orange crush along with a T-176 and 304 engine I have into my other good parts jeep. May not look good but would be fine for running stock trails.

Tom (very sad right now)

• Just saw what happened, sorry man. That sucks that one of the few CJs in the club is out on sick leave. Have to get the CJs out on the trail rides to show the fancy pancy TJs whats up.

• I heard that....

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!