&*%$#@ Oil cap!

• Okay, I want the name of the Chrysler engineer that thought that putting a child proof oil filler cap on my engine was a good idea. The ratchetting mechanism inside the cap is broken and now I just get a crunchy noise when I turn it either way. Does anyone have a good idea how to remove the cap without dropping bits of plastic into the rocker gallery or removing the rocker cover? Also, any suggestions on where to find a "stock looking" oil filler cap or will I have to go with one of the universal caps from Pep Boys? :upset:

• The safest bet would be to remove the valve cover. How do you know you don't already have plastic bits falling into the valve train when you try turning the cap?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The same thing happend to my cap. I used a pair channel locks and ripped off the cap handle then you can use the same channel locks to loosen what is left of the cap. My cap has been broken for about a year now, I am just to lazy to go get a new one.

• Mine sometimes sticks when its hot and the clicky thing just turns on the cap. I usally just fill it from the PCV hole when it wants to be a pain. But i think if yours is broke, go with slimers idea.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I ran across one a couple weeks ago on a Cherokee that did the same thing, I too used a pair of channel locks to rip the top part off then the bottom part came out in one piece with the channel locks. Then I went out and got one off a wrecked neon and it fit just like the original filler cap. :peace:

PS.. There were no plastic bits in the filler hole either.

• so ya need a new 710 cap. i asked the dealer when mine broke but he didn't have any

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• I hate to admit how long I stared at your post and image before I got the whole '710' thing. Maybe it is because it is late.....yea it is late.

• Thanks Joe, but the 2.5 takes a different sized oil cap, same design but a different size, go figure. Autozone said they had a cap, but the one they gave me was a half-screw type. I'm going to buy one from Baker, then drill a hole in it and force epoxy into the internal cavity to permanently disable the ratchet.

• I like the oil cap on my wifes Grand Cherokee. It's really wide to minimize spillage adn I think it has something sticking up to put the quart oil container (can't call them a can anymore) over so you don't have to hold the container while it glug, glugs away.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!