4 barrel carb

• I'm thinking of going to a small 4 barrel carb. What would be the brands to stay away from and what would be the ones to consider? I have a 258 bored 30 over (makes it a 261 I believe) with a Comp 4x4 cam.

I was looking at the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS Off Road carb (650 cfm)and the Edelbrock Performer Series carb (600 cjm).

Those were the ones in the first magazine I grabbed anyways. I've heard Holleys don't run well at angles and they are real sensitive to getting dirt.

What is the calculation for figuring how much cfm you need? Does anyone make a 500 cfm? I'm wondering if 600 cfm is too big. It says they are good for a small block V8 which is what the MC2100 I have came from.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John, what were you going to do for an intake? One of the Clifford or Offenhauser intakes? Ive never really heard anyone talk wonderful things about using a 4 barrel on the Jeep Six. Not sure if I remember right, but I think its got something to do with the fact that you probably dont see over 4000 rpm on your motor (mine makes Very scary sounds at 3000 rpm)

Do you think the Motorcraft is too small?

• Save your money. The bang for the buck just isn't there. I had a 4-barrel setup with Offenhauser intake before the MOPAR injection and it did fine in the summer but sucked come winter time. Very slight performance difference. Once you buy everything it comes close to the $600 dollar range. Like Scramblejim was stating, it just doesn't do well until the higher RPM range. These motors weren't meant to rev high. Gets a bit scary once you're over 3500 RPMs.

• I was thinking the Motorcraft might be too small. I had rejetted it once and saw a slight performance increase but also saw the economy decrease. Someone told me that a small 4 barrel might get me better economy because during cruising you would only be running on the smaller barrels and the secondaries would only open up during accellerations. I was looking at a 500 cfm Quadrajet or Edelbroc with the "off road" package. I have a few other things to try first. There are just some things with the Motorcraft I have that bother me. I never could pull more than 17 in Hg of vacuum with this motor and now I'm bouncing between 17 and 15. I'm confident I don't have a vacuum leak around the intake but am going to check again. A friend thinks the vacuum advance diaphram might have a slight leak but when I suck down on the hose to move the lever inside, it stays in position.

I think I can hear a slight whistle when driving but it won't make the sound while idling. I replaced the vacuum hoses and the EGR valve (even though it isn't hooked up it does have a diaphram hooked up to vacuum).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!