YJ lift suggestions

• I have a 94 YJ that has a 2" shackel lift.. come tax rebate time in about a month I want to give it a bit more lift.. many options out there.. just wanted to get some opinions.. thinking of a axel over conversion.. but want to get some trail tried opinions.. not just sales pitches.. want good but dont want to spend a ton of money.. only want to go maybe 3-6 inches higher.. let me know guys and gals thanx =)

• Spring over will get you the most flex but there is a lot involved in setting them up. You can get decent flex out of spring under lifts (just won't get as much lift).

BDS seems to be one of the more popular brands to go with. I would go with a 4" BDS.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Personally i have a soa and i think its great. i do agree that there are alot of issues concerning its complete set up. Its an easy and affordable installation, but dont forget that you will need at the very minimal a sye w/ a custom driveshaft, new custom shock mounts, traction bars and longer brake lines. I would also suggest getting new and longer shocks instead od simply making lower mounts, however i have been successful in doing so with great results. - Charlie McCall

• Quote from "mccallc"

Personally i have a soa and i think its great. i do agree that there are alot of issues concerning its complete set up. Its an easy and affordable installation, but dont forget that you will need at the very minimal a sye w/ a custom driveshaft, new custom shock mounts, traction bars and longer brake lines. I would also suggest getting new and longer shocks instead od simply making lower mounts, however i have been successful in doing so with great results. - Charlie McCall

go SOA (Spring Over Axle)!

I did a traditional spring lift first and hated it. It was a crappy lift though. I eventually went SOA.

A lot of the things that are mentioned by most are not really additional expenses over a traditional spring lift.

You need an SYE & shaft with a lift 4" and up. It don't matter if its SOA or not. Yes there are many that just drop the t-case and/or raise the engine. This is NOT a fix, its a bandaid. You need the SYE & shaft. So a SYE & shaft should be factored in to the lift cost either way.

You need longer brake lines with either a standard lift or a SOA. So those get figured in either way.

You need a dropped pitman arm either way you lift it, so figure that in as well.

You need longer shocks either way, factor those in.

the only things you need in a SOA lift that you don't in a standard lift are spring perches, anti-wrap bar, shock mounts, a welder (or someone to do it for you), a grinder (every man has to own one anyway), and an angle finder thingy.

It really is easy. Just seems like a lot if you have not done something like it before.

Ask all the SOA guys and almost 100% of them started with a standard lift first then went SOA. Save yourself the time and $ and do it right the first time. :D

SOA rides better as well, if you DD the thing. :D

• Just go with the RE 5515 4" lift. Had it on my YJ. T-case drop, no SYE, worked fine. Came with extended brake likes, the t-case drop, etc., etc. It's worth the money and was plenty of lift. It worked great, flexed well, and I had no complaints.

If you want more than that, just save up some extra money and go SOA. It's better than SUA for so many different reasons.

Here's a pic of mine before I sold it:

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!