Carb and HEI on 258

• Well this is my first post :wavey: I have Question on my YJ I took off the computer controlled carb and put on HEI dist. I read that this would help on gas and power but I believe that it is gotten worse. I have a hesitation on acceleration. The HEI came from the junkyard and I turned the gear down my self and put wires on and put in jeep. I ordered a reman carb from Autozone and have moved the accelerator pump rod and no change I tried to use the search and have found nothing. Any help would be great.

• Usually a hesitation under acceleration is signs of an accelerator pump going bad.

Does it do it when the engine is warmed?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I did this mod to my 258 when you upgraded to the HEI and removed the computer controlled carb the timing or rather distrb advance setting no longer applies. you have to widen the plug gap to around .045 and retard or advance the timing. the hesatation may be the fact that the vacuum advance is behind the power curve. when you had a computer controled carb on it ,it made its own adjustments to the mixture and timing.

• It does not matter if cold or warm still hesitates. It will pop through the carb at times under acceleration at the same time it hesitates. Gumby I did put timing at 8 or 9 before TDC as per factory.

• Ok will try that tomorrow I am also trying to get the valve cover to stop leaking made a mistake to take the valve cover off to check valves due to the motor having 167,000 on it, I have put two cork gaskets on now looking for a better fix still leaking. I did put the gaskets on at two different times not at once.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!