got excited for nothing...

• ok so I know a guy who is from what he said "experienced" with suspension parts and he owns a small private garage with all the tools he thought he should need for my lift..(spring compressor and such).. he thought he was plenty able to throw my lift on for me after he looked over the directions for a little $ and I said cool...so It went In today friday and I even took off of work and he calls me this afternoon saying he didnt have all the tools he needed to heat something up with a torch but didnt have one....so yea that sucks I thought Id have It on this weekend...are they any other recommendations for shops around here to get the Job done right? Its a 99 XJ and a 3" rough country lift with front coils, rear aal, and shocks all around...not that hard from what I understand but I myself lack the knowledge of any suspension and using big tools, any Ideas?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• That sucks...

Is there really something in the instructions about using a torch? I've never heard of that :shrug: He's probably just wimping out, because it would take him longer than he estimated and wouldn't make any $$$.

• yea Im thinking something like that...Iv nev er heard of using a torch for Installing a lift...I think he said something about heating springs or bolts up...but Im not sure...pry was Just an easy way of coping out for him...he only wanted $200 and Im sure It was like an 8 hour Job...but oh well I'll have to keep looking around and save some more money up

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• yea Im thinking something like that...Iv nev er heard of using a torch for Installing a lift...I think he said something about heating springs or bolts up...but Im not sure...pry was Just an easy way of coping out for him...he only wanted $200 and Im sure It was like an 8 hour Job...but oh well I'll have to keep looking around and save some more money up...Iv had this lift kit sitting around since July of 03' and havent put It on...It gets me quite mad and upset...

• dude save the money and I will make some time to get it done you dont need a torch to do it and it should only take us 3 or 4 hours. you have a add a leaf for the rear right and new springs for the front with shocks. what about a tranny drop..... I can do it on saturdays but not htis one maybe the next one. should only take half a dayt but plan on taking all day

• ps you must supply beer and pizza and also a willingness to learn to turn wrenches we/I will teach you how to do it. this will would be my second xj lift if it makes you fill better

• Oh and he may have need the torch to open the spring clamps on hte rear to put the add a leaf in. I have a way around that. they should have sent you new pring clamps they would be 2 peice and one is flat the other is a u shape they are your new spring clamps. the other way is for you to go buy some at auto zone and put them on. I have both on my yj spring. either way we will just cut off your old spring clamps. I know you are asking do I need the spring clamps. they help keep your springs from fatiging and help with axle wrap so I would say yes you need them but the jeep will function with out if you have to get them after the lift

• unless he was looking to cut off the old u-bolts. or spme rusty nuts.
    just be patient and let Tony fix ya up.

• A torch comes in handy when dealing with tight bolts and rusted parts. Heating them cherry red will break the rusts hold and they will typically come off with very little encouragement on the wrench, sometimes even without a wrench.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i find if i spray ALL bolts u think you may have to loosen with p-b blaster a few days before u plan to work most of them will be ok the stubborn ones spray again then heat them & they usaly will break loose if that dosen,t work then its time for the grinder or cut off wheel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!