Wrenchfest (Motor)

• I bought a 91 cherokee from raceshop and plan on swaping motors from the 91 xj to my 96 xj. I am looking for someone in lower Delaware that has a shop that i can use and some experience with the project. The 91 motor is a jasper 4.0 and my motor is the factory 4.0. If anyone has a shop or wants to give a hand i would appreciate it. I am trying to do it in like two week like maybe the weekend of the 13th

• is the 91 motor an HO? if its not then its taking 2 steps backward.
    but then again putting an older motor then you already have seems like steping backward also.

• I'd have to agree with Chris. Why put in an older motor then you already have. Unless of course yours is blown?

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• What is HO?high output?If so i am not sure. The 91 motor is sopost to have only around 30,000 mile. the 96 motor has 218,000 miles and half blown. putts, blows oil out the exhaust and no excellerating power.

• Quote from "michael"

What is HO?high output?If so i am not sure. The 91 motor is sopost to have only around 30,000 mile. the 96 motor has 218,000 miles and half blown. putts, blows oil out the exhaust and no excellerating power.

that doesn't sound good.. blowing out oil will clog your cat which will rob power.. i think you spoke about this in another thread and already worked out the details... id offer my garage but its full of junk .. im hoping to have it cleaned out by spring with a floor big air compressor and welder..

[size=9px][/size]paypall donations graciously accepted

just kidding[size=12px][/size]

• The HO 4.0 L motors were from '93 (?) on up I believe. The heads had a better flowing design and I believe the exhaust ports were smaller and intake ports a little bigger. The head serial numbers most people want are something like 72xx or 06xx. I forget the exact numbers but they start something like that. Guys with older 258s like to take the HO heads, due a little machine work, and swap them onto their 258 to make a stroker motor.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• if the motor is not an HO then you dont want it. i had a cherokee with an older 4.0 and it barley got out of its own way. find a newer 4.0 but nothing newer than i think like 2000, all the ignition changes.

• Quote from "michael"

What is HO?

yea it was a suped up 6 cyl high output.. gave more horse power.. torque.. better.. the six is a great motor.. this one just made it easier to burn rubber and pull stumps...

• Quote from "michael"

I bought a 91 cherokee from raceshop and plan on swaping motors from the 91 xj to my 96 xj. I am looking for someone in lower Delaware that has a shop that i can use and some experience with the project. The 91 motor is a jasper 4.0 and my motor is the factory 4.0. If anyone has a shop or wants to give a hand i would appreciate it. I am trying to do it in like two week like maybe the weekend of the 13th

well if you havent found a place and got a kerosene heater or can stand an outside burn barrel and want to help me clean up my garage your welcome to it...

• Cape Red said we can use his shop at Pantoon Express in Harbison, Delaware. Its right on RT. 5 heading north on the right. We are shooting for the weekend of the 28th. Friday night around 4:30 and sat, and sun. I am looking for help experience or no experience. I will provide food and drinks for sat + sun. If you have any questions PM me.

• I M going to get some new stuff for the motor, like a turn-up during the swap. Any suggestions of what to change. plugs, wire, oil, filters,...?

• scince its an HO version, the swap should be pretty straight foward.
    i would change the oil for sure, but i would check the ign stuff before spending the money on it. ot may be in good for another couple years.

dont forget a roll of masking tape to label what all those wires and vaccum lines went to.

good luck with the swap.

• Quote from "michael"

Cape Red said we can use his shop at Pantoon Express in Harbison, Delaware. Its right on RT. 5 heading north on the right. We are shooting for the weekend of the 28th. Friday night around 4:30 and sat, and sun. I am looking for help experience or no experience. I will provide food and drinks for sat + sun. If you have any questions PM me.

shooting for 5:30 friday, earlier on saturday/sunday

driving directions: http://www.pontoonexpress.com
    like mike said, theres plenty of room, all are welcome...

michael- get up with me sometime this week, i wanna compression test your engine before you go buy the donor. lets make sure we know whats wrong before we assume the worst.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!