Stock Rubicon- Stock or Modified?

• I have a stock '06 Rubicon, I was reading through some of the posts, not quite clear on what class I should be in. I've never been on a trail ride, and from what I take from the posts I should be in the modified division. Is this true?

• since u have never been on a trail b/4
    i recommend u do a few stock trails
    get they feel of ur ruby and then try some modified trails

first mod u should consider for the rubi is skid plates
    oil pan skid and diff skid for the front and steering box skid

• I was reading through some of the other posts for trail rides, and it said stock is up to 30" tires, no lockers. Modified is up to 33" tires, maybe a locker. The Rubicon has good tires and lockers front and rear, this is why I was asking.

• your vehicle is ready for what our club usually defines as "modified". but, it'll be safer for your vehicle's paint and body if you go with a stocker group until you get familiar with how your Rubicon handles offroad, how/when to use the lockers, how to spot the best path through an obstacle, etc.

'course the first trail my first stock group hit... was a blue trail. Thanks, Tom! hehe

of course, if you feel confident that you can handle the harder trails your first time out, you can probably hop in with a modified group. it'll depend on the group leader.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by ().

• Decision on which level ride should depend not only on vehicle, but on driver as well. Your Rubicon is a great vehicle right out of the box, but you should get some experience on some stock trails before taking it up a notch. I agree that you should plan on the stocker level trails for your first few trail rides.

• I wasn't sure how it worked, like if you had up to 33"s and lockers you had to go with a modified group. I'm used to racing bikes, where if you had a certain size bike, you were in this class.

• I would aslo recomend an engine skid....

from my personal experience at RC, I was happy with the "stock" group. You will find harder trails if your in a smaller group and you can try them. I was convinced to do the modified group, and was gonna do it, but decided to keep it stock. Next time I go, I might do modified as long as there are bypasses on things (and I have rocker guards)

• think this has already been said....but

get an engine skid. i recomend the skid row one

wheel on the stock run. get used to the vehicle and spotting (if needed)

when you feel comfortable go on the moderate. by then youll be looking at lifts and 33's anyway happens to all of us LOL

im locked with 35's and still enjoy the occasional stock ride for the view and just being outdoor..i dont run extreme yet because i am not fully comfortable with what my jeep is capable of doing. soon though :)

• Thanks for you guys help, I don't plan on going on my first trip until the GWNF in May, I have some stuff I need to get before I go on my first ride.

• Quote from "joo"

from my personal experience at RC, I was happy with the "stock" group. You will find harder trails if your in a smaller group and you can try them. I was convinced to do the modified group, and was gonna do it, but decided to keep it stock. Next time I go, I might do modified as long as there are bypasses on things (and I have rocker guards)

our "stock" group was really more on the modified level. :) we hit almost all blues, the only greens we did were access roads. if it was a stock ride, I wouldn't have had to take that bypass and walk back to meet yas :) (the other Jeeps were all lifted or didn't care about body damage) *sigh* my poor crossmember

your Rubicon should be fine on a true stock ride without any skids, as long as you pay attention to the spotter.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Quote from "BlueJ"

Decision on which level ride should depend not only on vehicle, but on driver as well. Your Rubicon is a great vehicle right out of the box, but you should get some experience on some stock trails before taking it up a notch. I agree that you should plan on the stocker level trails for your first few trail rides.

thats the best thing for u as the driver

no matter how good your rig is
    its only as good as the driver

• Quote from "whatevah"

your Rubicon should be fine on a true stock ride without any skids, as long as you pay attention to the spotter.

did you see pics of what mine used to be like? I made it through fine on stock rides. You can go like you are and be completely fine. It just is a level of comfort to have that engine skid, because you know that your not gonna gouge your oil pan....just listen to the spotter.

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

thats the best thing for u as the driver

no matter how good your rig is
    its only as good as the driver

...and to that let me add a :wstupid: although the "stupid" part applies to me...

on my first trail ride with DeJA, BlueJ was trying to tell me what line to take and like a dummy I didn't listen and almost took out a driveshaft on a green trail. Since then, I've learned to take advantage of his and others' expertise and managed to do a black trail w/ no body damage
    (lost a valve stem, but nothing huge).

Long story short.....it pays to listen to these guys :wavey:

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• just have trust in the spotter u use
    and dont forget ur recovery gear

have the fun of going wheeling is getting and watching others get stuck
    sometimes

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!