Sub box / Subwoofer

• I'm looking to put a box in my TJ....

lookin to find out if anyone had made one, or seen drawings for one...

also if anyone just bought a box...where'd they get it and how'd they like it.

As for as subwoofers and amps go, I'll find somethign I like no problem...I'm a big fan of infinity...

I know jeeprubicon has one...trying to get my memory refreshed on where you got yours and what not...

also how did you guys secure it to the jeep?

• i have built several completely custom boxed before, so if you decde to build one and need a hand (or a shop) i can help you out.

• I forgot to point out that most off-the-shelf subs probably won't fit in a Jeep very well, so you may want to take up Chris on his offer!

• Quote from "bmf24"

i have built several completely custom boxed before, so if you decde to build one and need a hand (or a shop) i can help you out.

same here, you should here my jeep now, the last jeep i had i hit 140db with only 2 10s and 600 watts rms....and this was all behind the back seat...my setup now is one 10 in the trunk, 400rms watts...

• Don't you guys worry that putting a box is an open invitation to cut your top and rip it out?

I just removed a 12" JL W6V2 & 500 Watt amp from my stratus in anticipation of trading it in tommorrow, but I planned on sticking to stock radio in the jeep so I can keep the break-in risk to a minimum...

• i had 3- 12 inch mtx's 2 poineer 8's and a a 400 watt and a 1200 watt and a pioneer premear head unit all gone with slice of a knife, kind alot to fit in a geo

• see....what i really worry about myself is putting a new head unit...and it being lifted...even if i do take the faceplate out of it, i still for some reason think i have something to worry about...

i was hoping to keep the stock radio, and run an output off of the stock radios "stock sub" thing... (rms output...whatever it is its late, and I don't remember technical terms) and connect a cheap, but not to cheap sub up....

then I found this and thought...maybe I do this instead of a box... anyone have any experience with these?

Tuffy Subwoofer Security Console, Camel, TJ, 1997-06
    Home > Product SKU: 06625

I would have gotten it off q-tec...but it is slow as molasses...

• does that tuffy box come with the sub?? i have the factory option in my jeep and that is the factory location. im thinking the tuffy box uses the factory setup and you just install in in the console..dont think it comes with it

• Quote from "MellowYellow"

does that tuffy box come with the sub?? i have the factory option in my jeep and that is the factory location. im thinking the tuffy box uses the factory setup and you just install in in the console..dont think it comes with it

im almost positive It doesn't.....if it did, i would want to replace it anyway...unless it was a good one.

• I worry about theft also. I have a cheap AM/FM Cassette unit in the Jeep that was there when I got it. It sounds OK, but I can't remember the last time I had a cassette recording of anything other than my old answering machine!

I have been considering going with this
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3579125
    which will allow me to play what I want without having a nice CD player.

Also, as rough as the ride is, I'm not sure a CD player would work well anyway.

• I have an box made out of MDF that fits exactly behind the rear seat in a TJ that has 2-10 soundstreams havent had it in the jeep for few years. give me a call if your interested 302-359-9068

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• That's what I like about SIRIUS...$29.95 on sale at Best Buy. All the music I could ever want, CD quality, cheap.

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

That's what I like about SIRIUS...$29.95 on sale at Best Buy. All the music I could ever want, CD quality, cheap.

DrJ

Yes, but can you take your SIRIUS in the shower with you, or on a jog around town? That's what I like about my XM.

:peace:

• mine is a 10"kicker cvr in a truck box behind the back seat
    been there for about 2 years or so now
    and havent had a problen
    the amp in under the back seat
    so its out of sight
    the tinted rear window helps conceal the box alittle i think
    its not mounted, just strapped there
    never had any issuse with any of it
    i got mine setup from soundf-x
    here in lewes
    hth

• well I use to be big into the stereo thing. Always did my own boxes.
    First I would suggest going with one not two, to save on the space and money. I use to be big on two sub, but I am running a mono 1000w amp to two tens and pushed one of them up out of the box. So I'm now running one single 10 and it sounds just as good. Spend some money on the speaker it self, a better brand does a better job.

second, build your own box. It been a while since i dug around the back of a wrangler, but there is some space under the seats. remove the seat, then build the box so that when the seat is replaced back in, it will secure it to the floor. build the biggest part behind the seat so that the box seats about 4 inch off the floor and fire the speakers straight down at it. to the naked eye it will just look like a security box. And even if they get in they are not going to just pick it up and run. hide the amp also, but make sure it is not inclosed, it needs air to cool off.

As for the head unit, not much you can do unless you would like to install it in your center console out of site and leave the cheepy in the dash.

this all takes some work but its very possible.

As for the safety of your system, If you have it, they know it, and they want it, plastic, glass or locks are not going to stop them.

Locks don't keep thiefs out, they keep honest people out.

last but not less, keep all receipts, photograph everything and turn them in to your insurance. That is if you have full coverage.

• I've been thinking about the same think joo. But the only thing I think about is water damage. I never have a top on as soon as the hard top comes off and it comes off as soon as possible. I've got a tuffy with a water proof headunit 45*4 hooked up to infitintis, but ive got two mtx 12's and a mtx amp no sure about the watts but it hits hard! Im trying to come up with a way to make a water proof box and more important a water proof box for the amp but i know the amp has to breath so thats the problem im running into. I was thinking a plex glass box for speakers and amp box than self tap them to the floor. If anyone has any ideas about water proofing im all ears!! :shrug:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!