Throttle body problem fixed (I hope)

• Swapped the 4.0 TB into my '97 TJ 2.5L today. Swapped over all the sensors, but now when I start the engine, it idles at redline and won't idle down. Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

Edited once, last by ().

• Also I'm getting codes 24 and 25. How do I check the tps to see if it needs to be replaced?

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Swapped the 4.0 TB into my '97 TJ 2.5L today. Swapped over all the sensors, but now when I start the engine, it idles at redline and won't idle down. Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Sara when you swaped the throttle body did you
    Swap our the entire AIS motor? including the metel piece that mounts to the side of the TB

if you did not do this, then there is a metel tab that sticks down
    and prevents the TB fron sitting flush and tight.
    look at the old TB you will see the tab. the 2.5 and 4.0's tab is in diffrent locations.

If the TB is not all the way down and flush then air will get around near the base and the motor will rev very high.

• Quote from "jeeprubicon"

no we didnt swap the ais mount
    it was on the tb with 4 tamper proof screws

That is your problem then

Swap out this piece or grind off the tab and she should be OK

You need to drill off the head of the screw to get them out
    but I'd try to grind off the tab first.

• Thanks Joe, I see the tab and Andrew's coming back down to try your suggestions.

• Your not the first to go through this

The TBs look very simmilar so they could be easy to mix up
    The Tab is basicly a way for asembly line workers to know they put the correct TB on the correct motor.

Kind of a ( Go---- No Go) device

Just think what a dog the 4.0 would be if you put the 2.5 TB on it
    It would run but it would be starving for air.

• If we grind off the tab on the 4.0 then we won't have to swap the motors right? I guess you wouldn't be able to get the motor then.

If we can swap them, you can have the 4.0 motor. I got the TB for free anyway. (Thanks BlackRubi :heart: )

• Quote from "SarasGP"

If we grind off the tab on the 4.0 then we won't have to swap the motors right? I guess you wouldn't be able to get the motor then.

If we can swap them, you can have the 4.0 motor. I got the TB for free anyway. (Thanks BlackRubi :heart: )

Sure or even the plastic part you took off will work for mine
    I bon't need the metal base that part is good on mine.

• OK, we got the motor off and we'll swap out tomorrow. I'll bring the motor to the meeting on Sunday. THANKS!!!!!

• Joe, I just realized that the actual motor is not on the 4.0, just the metal housing with the tab. Check with BlackRubi and see if he still has the motor. The TB is from a '97 TJ.

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Joe, I just realized that the actual motor is not on the 4.0, just the metal housing with the tab. Check with BlackRubi and see if he still has the motor. The TB is from a '97 TJ.

That's ok There will be more TB swaps I can get one off of.

How about an update ... is your Jeep running better?

• I'm getting ready to go get parts, then Andrew and I will put the 4.0 in. We took it out and put the 2.5 back in last night so I could drive it. I'll let you know as soon as we are done.

• All done. She runs much better now and I can see a big difference. We also put a K&N filter on which prbly helps also. I started getting code 51 this morning with the 2.5 tb. (Lean fuel) After we swapped it out I was getting the same code again. I had this once before on the way to GWNF last fall. I finally fixed it by putting in some fuel injector cleaner. I'll try that and see if it works this time.

• Try to reset the computer by disconnecting the pos. battery cable for about 10 min.

If that does not help you may have a bad sensor somewhere.

• I tried the battery thing, but I'm still getting the code. I poured a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in and I'll see if that helps. That's what fixed it the last time. If that doesn't work, I'll have to replace the O2 sensor which is the one for that code.

• I ran a tank of gas through with fuel injector cleaner, but the codes came up on the way to Chricky's after I stopped at WaWa then restarted it.
    I cleared the codes and gassed up to go home with another bottle of cleaner. So far no problem, but I'll see today on the way up to and back from Dover again.

I got a different code as well as the usual lean fuel mix, this one was the left bank O2 sensor had shorted out. I think I need to replace the O2 sensors anyway seeing as it's never been done. ('97 w/54K miles)

My dilemma: Since a four banger does not have a right and left bank, and the current O2 sensors are for a 2.5L, should I replace them with 4.0L sensors? Or is there no difference? Does anyone know if that would help the computer make proper adjustments for fuel mix? I think she's dying of O2 overdose with the bigger tb and the K & N on there. I will say one thing, it's burning a WHOLE sh** load more gas now. Prbly using more gas to compensate for the extra air. :?

(Give me an old I-6 or V-8 with a carb and no computer junk!!! Those I can fix.) :bang:

• Can anyone tell me which front O2 sensor to get? The rear one is the same for 2.5 and 4.0, but the front ones are different for the two engines?

:help:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!