speaker replacement

• with the proper tools you can change them without removing the dash as shown on that page. they are a PITA but can be done.

they are 4x6. they are all going to be similar as that size/shape does not produce much bass(or midbass for that matter) kenwood, pioneer, whatever you find at best buy/circut city will be fine for what you need.

might be easier to get one of those pods that go in the kick panel or on the center hump.

PS joe. its in the mail

• Joe, I replaced mine years ago with some pioneer 4x6's. I didn't tear apart my dash like that either. You can get to them. It's cramped, but you can get to them. You just need to reach up behind the speaker and back off a couple of nuts, the studs stay in place if I remember right. Removing the ebrake makes it easier to get the drivers side. Let me know when you decide to do it. I'll give ya a hand. :up:

• In all honesty if you don't have a sound bar get one and drop some good speakers in it. I think it is baest to add good sound right near your ears first especially considering how noisy an open top Jeeep can be and the farther away you move speakers form your ears the louder they have to be to hear while moving and the more embarassing or annoying it is to other drivers when you pull up to a stop light blasting your music. If you have a sound bar and are looking to improve your sound spend the money to replace the speakers or if they are good add a subwoofer and set your headunit to let your soundbar speakers handle mids and highs at a louder clearer level and the sub to handle the bass.

I really don't think you are gonna get that much improvement in sound from a pair of 4x6 in speakers in your dash but if you are dead set on it check out these
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-U…ew.asp?g=51400&I=107DB460
    Since you are essentially performing a bottom mount install in the dash you may need shims, a couple of washers on each mounting stud will work, to help clearance the rubber surround and tweeter away from the dash but I think these will definitely give you best bang for your buck, you can get them for the same price locally at Circuit City as well.

Also this Polk series is marine certified so you don't have to worry about mud, water crossings and the occasional downpour ruining your speaker cones. I have ran Polk Audio speakers in my last three vehicles and have always been very impressed with there performance running only off my headunits. I just put 2 pairs of 6-1/2" Polks same series as these in my Cherokee and they sound great.

But really if you don't have a sound bar or crappy speakers in it currently upgrade those right near your ears first they will make the most improvement before adding any to the dash.

You can also improve the sound quality and bass response of your soundbar by removing the speakers and stuffing it with polyfill. You can get a large bag of polyfill from any craft store or Jo-Ann fabrics for about $2.

One last thing, if you are gonna buy a sound bar, buy it without speakers and the largest single speaker openings you can get. Don't try to save money buying one with speakers installed, the speakers are always junk. Save the few bucks and spend it on some Polks for the soundbar.

Sorry this went on so long, Jeep Audio is something I am very interested in.

• I do have a sound bar and two 6x9's in boxes that mount behind the seat

I was just looking to even out the sound by running front speakers

Thanks for the link warer proof is a good thing when it comes to a YJ

• hey joe fab up some brackets like i did and put 5.25 in rounds in the front the sound is better cause the rounds dont fold like the 4x6 can.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!