• is it a flat spot or a kink ?

if it is a flat spot
    u can try to hammer it out
    if it is a noticeable kink
    use ur best decision as to keep t or replace it

fwiw
    i think mine has 2-3 flat spots and maybe 1 kink
    nothing i feel is major enough to warrant its replacement

• Winch cable isn't something to take chances with... if it looks like a big kink, get a new cable and maybe check your fairlead or take your time on rolling the cable back in..

• haha! I have about 6-7 kinks/flat spots on my cable and just don't care. I beat the hell out of it too so it can take it. as long as you put a weight on it when you're using it to keep it from flying and hitting you if it breaks, you'll be ok. if you replaced the cable everytime you got a kink you'd be a poor man. If you do decide to replace, get a synthetic cable, they don't kink.

I have had my winch for 3 years, and from day 5 i had a kink in it and have used it probably upwards of 40 times since then, with no problems.

haha! I have about 6-7 kinks/flat spots on my cable and just don't care. I beat the hell out of it too so it can take it

It only takes it breaking one time when your not paying attention and you could be seriously hurt or killed. If it were me, (and I did) replace your cable with synthetic rope. You won't regret it and if it ever snaps the worse thing is maybe a sting but they almost always fall right to the ground with no recoil.

My $.02 :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• i like syn rope
    but there are a few things u cant do with it
    that i can do with my cable

regular inspections and a little p/m
    and they are fine
    i rarely use mine and when i do
    i use 10 lbs of weight on it in two spots

• I am wracking my brain trying to think of what you can do with wire rope that you cannot do with synthetic cable. Cut your hands on a burr? Wind it in over itself and crush the line and make a birdsnest? Have it snap in half and slice off someones head while the winched vehicle rolls backwards killing another person?

Am I close? :shrug:

• Quote from "zachv"

I am wracking my brain trying to think of what you can do with wire rope that you cannot do with synthetic cable. Cut your hands on a burr? Wind it in over itself and crush the line and make a birdsnest? Have it snap in half and slice off someones head while the winched vehicle rolls backwards killing another person?

I know at GWNF III (hell trip) Andrew was forced to run the cable back under his Jeep to get to a Jeep behind him (there was no way to turn around). I'm not sure how that would work out with synthetic.

I'm guessing that's what he meant.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

I know at GWNF III (hell trip) Andrew was forced to run the cable back under his Jeep to get to a Jeep behind him (there was no way to turn around). I'm not sure how that would work out with synthetic.

I'm guessing that's what he meant.

as long as its not a real sharp edge the syn line would be fine. its alot tougher than people think. Aarons line it the most beat up rope i have ever seen and its is still good. there are things that are bad for the line and things that will break the line. not much will break it.

• Quote from "ChiChuM"

haha! I have about 6-7 kinks/flat spots on my cable and just don't care. I beat the hell out of it too so it can take it. as long as you put a weight on it when you're using it to keep it from flying and hitting you if it breaks, you'll be ok. if you replaced the cable everytime you got a kink you'd be a poor man. If you do decide to replace, get a synthetic cable, they don't kink.

I have had my winch for 3 years, and from day 5 i had a kink in it and have used it probably upwards of 40 times since then, with no problems.

So what you're really saying is stay the he|| away from you when you're using your winch?

• keith has it right
    that is what i have done and still do when i use my tow dolly

in that old arse pic there is a sweatshirt on the lines
    since then i have gotten 2) 5lb ankle weights that i use
    like the kind u use when a person jogs

visual inspection is key
    if i were to have multiple broken strands
    then i might consider replacing my cable

here is a pic of my new weights
    so bite me jeff.....lol

cant remember if i used one or both this trip
    someone else there might know

the fail rate of cable is not as high as everyone might think

• My kink is almost to the drum. If I don't unroll that far, it's not an issue right?
    It's brand new, I would hate to replace the cable for rope. $$$

• take alook at the paper work it came with
    most winches are at their max when all but maybe five wraps
    are pulled out

usually u want to try to use the most cable u can
    if u dont have a snatch block think about getting one
    tho thats not always possible

btw
    get a cover for it
    if u dont already have it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!