(b)rain damage

• So I'm getting out of the shower this afternoon and I here somebody honking their car horn. Short beeps, long beeps, so I look out the window because I'm getting annoyed and I can't see anyone in their car. It started to sound like someone frantically trying to signal help. I quickly get dressed and go outside and no more horn, but then I notice the unmistakable smell of an electrical fire coming from my jeep. The rain got in the steering column and made a connection in the horn switch. I have no idea how long it had been sounding before I heard it. When I lifted the hood, the horn was smoking and the housing was beginning to melt. I quickly disconnected the battery and the removed the horn. It sizzled when I threw it in a puddle. I'm very lucky that didn't happen while I was working a 12-hour graveyard shift at the firehouse last night or asleep this morning. The resulting car fire would have taken out a good portion of my garage before anyone would have noticed last night.

Anyone got a spare horn they'll sell me?

• Replace with a pair of bull horns. They are a little more but worth it. Also replace your horn relay. I would suspect that was the true failure. It hangs under the dash on the far left side.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Thanks, Monte. I'll do that when I come over to do the bushings.

Thanks, Steve for the advice on the relay. I might go with a better horn because the stock one was pretty weak. With the way people drive around Dover anymore, I either need air horns like Keith or a loudspeaker that yells "If you're going to drive like an @$$hole, go back to Jersey!" everytime I press a button.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!