Am I thinking in the right direction?

• My thought is in the future I would like to go to 35's. I currently run 33's. I have a D30 front and D35 rear with 373 gears.

My thought is to put a Dana 44 or 8.8 in the rear before I run the 35's, regear (still not sure which gears 4.55 or 4.88?) and then eventually upgrade the d30 front end.

How much should this cost me? What kind of D44 or 8.8 should I be looking for. I see these things on ebay that are like out of trucks from 76 and that scares me? Is that actually what I should be looking for? Any links for "shopping for an 8.8 or d44?"

Insight please?

• Let me ask you this. What do you want to do with it that you can't do on 33's. I'll be honest with you I liked mine better on 33's then on 35's. If I had to do it again I'd leave mine on 33's and get a dana 44 rear. With the 8.8 that I have now I'm kind of stuck on 35's. If I go 33's I'll drag the pumpkin over everything. Also on 35's things begin to get to "Easy" and I use that term loosly. Of course I could run reds with the S&S guys but then again I don't want to destroy my jeep. If your even considering keeping that as a DD then I'd stay 33's. Ever since I put on 35's I very rarely use my jeep on the road. Kind of took the fun out of it when I get harrassed by the local cops about my tires and lift. Most of the time unless I'm in DE or MD I trailer mine. I know in DE it's not that big of a deal but it's still not practical as a DD.

Just something to think about.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• cant find the claping smily but that is great advice right there. keep what you got and wheel it the way it is.... its a adiction making it bigger but its not a good addiction.

• I agree with the above.

I can't see wanting to go to 35's.

I would like to regear to 4.56's and maybe add ARB's on both ends.

I already have a 44 in the rear, alloy shafts for the front and I'll be good.

• You know I've never heard it put like that. It sounds good. I really don't want to kill my gas mileage that much.

So do you recommend going with a 44 rear? My biggest issues is I am just afraid of destroying the 35.

When you say 4.56 gears, does it change with an auto or a manual?

• I loved my jeep on 33's, moderately tolerated it on 35's and wish it would implode on 37's.... I caught the bigger badder better bug and am now stuck with a $414/ month garage ornament.... anything worth running in R/C can be run on 33's.....35's add insurance against stupidity and 37's make you do stupid things...

• You know I've never heard it put like that. It sounds good.

So do you recommend going with a 44 rear? My biggest issues is I am just afraid of destroying the 35.

When you say 4.56 gears, does it change with an auto or a manual?

Depends what you plan on doing.

If you're going to regear and/or lock it, it would be a waste IMO to dump that into a D35.

For a DD and the mall, the D35 will prolly last a long time.

Can't really speak on the Auto and gearing, I'm sure others here can.

I would just like to be able to hold 5th gear going up a slight grade at 60 mph. Can't now.

• I hate the fact that my Jeep has to downshift at 60-65 on the highway. I think based on opinions it would be best for me to stick with 33's.

I do DD my jeep, but I do wheel it and would like to wheel it without having the fear of destroying the rear. I would baby it to much to even have fun wheeling. I know the feeling, like wheeling without a engine skid or any skids on a rough trail.

If someone could speak on the gearing, let me know. 33's with a auto.

• On an auto I'd go 33's and 3:73's. Go with a 44 rear and lock it if you want. I personally liked the challenge of being open but now that I have my lockers I do like the security of having them. Build it TUFF not BIG. :up:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• On an auto I'd go 33's and 3:73's. Go with a 44 rear and lock it if you want. I personally liked the challenge of being open but now that I have my lockers I do like the security of having them. Build it TUFF not BIG. :up:

I ahve 3:73's now, and it doesn't work to well. I feel like I need to go a step up because it downshifts way to much.

I think I'd like to just go with a lunchbox in the front, maybe a limited slip in the rear.

• I ahve 3:73's now, and it doesn't work to well. I feel like I need to go a step up because it downshifts way to much.

Part of that is the programming of the computer, not sure if gears will completely fix that.

What RPM are you turning at 65 in OD ?

• this is a rule of thumb that i have found.
    auto manual
    33-4.10 33-4.56
    35-4.56 35-4.88
    37-4.88 37-5.13

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• If you have a 4 speed auto i would go with 410s. I ran them with a 3 speed auto and 35s and it was perfect, so i would say that 33s + 4speed auto +410 = Highway goodness. Randys ring and pinion has an rpm calculator you can use.
    Oh yeah and the rule of thumb above isnt bad if you run a 4 speed auto. 456s and 3 speed = Highway not -so-goodness

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I agree with what everyone else has already said.

My opinions would be Selectable locker up front (for turning purposes while on trails and in 4wd, lunchboxes are not bad but really decrease your turning dramatically while in 4wd), alloy shafts. D44/8.8 rear. Possibly one already built to avoid the pain of that. Though building can be cheaper. 8.8 you would want out of a 96 and newer Explorer so that you have the disks. If putting in a new rear you should upgrade to disk while at it either way IMO. 4.10 gears. Leave the rear open unless you get one that already has an LSD in it, but if funds are unlimited another selectable locker would be great. Other then that I would leave yours exactly where it is.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Probably be a screamer on the highway.

Exactly. Like I said, I ran 410s with 35s and a 3 speed auto and it was good. However anymore gear, and it would be screaming at anything over 60-65.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• with 33s I say run what you brung and carry shafts and tools! you probably wont ever break a rear shaft who in deja has with 33s to much web wheeling says the guy on 1 tons. lock the front with a lock rite and enjoy your extra money that you saved not being a big huge guy

• just took dawns jeep up wheeling with 33s and 3.73 and it was great not sure of your complaint remeber its a jeep not a miata

sorry steve

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!