Auto Transmission replace/rebuild recommendations

• Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for places to get my transmission rebuilt or replaced in the Newark/NCC area? Thought I totally trashed it at Rausch Creek the other day but after a flush it's close to normal. Gonna pick up a skyjacker transmission pan for a little extra capacity this week and see how it goes. That being said, I've known for a while now it was on it's way out so if I don't do it now it's probably going to be within 6 months so I'm looking now. So far I've gotten quoted $1900 for a Jasper transmission from All-State on Kirkwood Hwy which is more than I was thinking (probably $1300).

Any recommendations for where to do it done/avoid?

Any other transmissions I should consider? Read some stuff about a guy using a transmission from an 98-01 XJ that gives OD.

• I'd check with everest auto in newark on kirkwood highway. They do really good work and one thier techs is a Jeep guy.

• I'd check with everest auto in newark on kirkwood highway. They do really good work and one thier techs is a Jeep guy.

Have heard that as well and called them this morning. Said they don't do transmissions and referred me to some place Delran's or something like that on Old Baltimore Pk, wasn't able to find their number.

• Thats Deltrans. They do good work. I have had 2 transmissions done for older cars there and had no issues. They do alot of racing trans stuff also.

http://www.deltransinc.com/

1081 for a rebuild & 12mo/15k parts/labor warranty....much better. The 1900 All-State was charging was for new (well, another rebuilt besides mine), they also quoted $1700-something to rebuild mine so Deltrans is about $600 cheaper.

• I would use Deltrans without a second thought. The shop I worked at for over 10 years used deltrans for all of are trans rebuilds. There is also a very good trans shop on philadelphia pike in wilmington but I can not remember the name I believe Aaron has used them for his trans work on the crawler.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Edited once, last by 92Renegade ().

• You can try Joe Scheiling (sp?) on Washington Street Extension and Philly Pike. He rebuilt my comp tranny with a new tc for around $750. The price can be different depending on what is wrong and it will be cheaper if you can pull the tranny yourself. BTW, he is probably the best auto tranny guy around.

Aaron

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• i had a tranny rebuilt by deltrans, through another place, and when I got that car back the trans was not working right...

brought it back to the shop, they repulled it and deltrans rebuilt (second time, and I was told it was then done by the owner) and found the problem. there was no extra cost to me for the second trans r/r and no cost for the second rebuild!! to me that is standing behind what you do.

I would recommend them in a second.

• I dropped the pan today after doing two extractions last weekend and replaced it with the Skyjacker hi-capacity pan. Holds 6 quarts instead of 4. I should have taken pictures of the crap that was in the bottom of the pan. The magnet looked like a chocolate donut there was so much crap on it. The woman's cat's litter box is cleaner, this is after overheating the other weekend and boiling ATF out of the dipstick. After just driving about 2 hours on it, it's seems to be purring pretty good. Might still be a little bit off but a million times better than it was running last weekend. Gonna hold off on the rebuild a little longer but Deltrans it will be when I cross that bridge.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!