Carrier replacement = regear?

• Finally got my Jeep apart and it wasn't just the bearings that were bad. The little spindle thingy that holds the carrier bearings on the passenger side of the Jeep fell off when we took the gear set out. This is what was causing my silver gear fluid.

I'm assuming I'm going to need an entire new carrier and the entire axle will have to be set up again, correct? This is a D30 with 4.88s.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Yes u will need a new carrier, but u will only need to set the carrier shims for backlash. U will not have to do anything with the pinion.

• Yes u will need a new carrier, but u will only need to set the carrier shims for backlash. U will not have to do anything with the pinion.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was going to be a whole lot more involved. :)

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• What does the gear set look like? All the metal from the carrier and bearings imploding probably did not do them any favors

Gear set is 100% fine. The bearings are not at all imploded and there were no chunks of metal. They were Timken and still look brand new. The oil that came out looked like paint with silver metal flake in it (really fine and smooth). We're going to install a new carrier (Spicer) and new Timken bearings since I had bought them anyway. Then as Aaron said we'll be setting backlash. :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!