info on lifting an XJ?

• i'm looking to lift my 01 jeep cherokee 3 inches by way of a suspension lift to fit 31 inch mud terrains and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what kits are good, which ones suck and what should i be looking for in buying a good kit.

-thanks,
    Brendan Keena

• welcome to the forum!

Rustys kits are probably the most inexpensive, but if you get the full leaf packs (versus Add-a-leafs) they have a habit of giving close to 5" of lift in the back, which is NOT good if you only want 3" of lift, because on a 1997+ Cherokee, you need to do modifications to the transfercase and driveshaft for that much lift. and that pretty expensive. the only option is to carry a LOT of weight in the cargo area to keep the suspension down until it settles, but that can take a while because the springs are so strong. If your current leaf springs aren't sagging, then their add-a-leaf kit should probably do well for you.

as for pure quality, Old Man Emu (OME) lifts are the best you can buy, but they are also the most expensive. Rubicon Express kits are less expensive and are very good quality, but their 3.5" kits will give you closer to 4.5" of lift, front and rear. If you get the transfercase-drop kit, you shouldn't need to modify the transfercase and driveshaft, but there is a slight chance that you would.

stay away from Skyjacker and Rocky Road. And, if you're on ebay looking for parts, do not buy from Makomfg.

you can get Rubicon Express and OME kits from Quadratec, and Rustys kits are at http://www.rustysoffroad.com

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• thanks Whatevah... i'm also looking to buy a kit that includes everything i'd need to install it and money isn't really a factor, i'm looking for quality and if it happens to be inexpensive, that is ideal. thank you for your suggestion

• if i were to buy this kit...

The Rusty's 3-inch XJ Suspension Kit has been one the most successful items we have developed. Our soft spring rates along with our specific valve shocks have put this kit above the rest. All of the Rusty's 3-inch kits will clear 31in. tires. Rusty's 300AL kit comes complete with front coils, full-length add-a-leafs, four Rusty's hydro shocks, a rear brake line extension bracket and complete instructions. The Rusty's 300SP has the same parts as the 300AL but with complete new rear springs. A new addition to the Rusty's suspension line is the 305STS kit. This kit comes with coil springs that have a 30-lb heavier spring rate and an overload spring on the rear leaf springs. If you have a large heavy bumper, a winch, and carry a lot of gear this may be the kit for you.

• 2 - 3" Front Coil Springs
    • Full-length Rear Add-A-Leaf
    • Rear Brake Line Extension
    • 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks
    • Complete Instruction

* New U-bolts are not included as the stock ones are plenty long. They can be purchased seperately if desired.

...would i need anything else Whatevah? i'm kinda new to the whole jeep thing and a friend suggested this site and then i was informed that you were the guy to talk to about XJ stuff... i appreciate your time

• depending on how rusty the underbody of your Cherokee is, you might not be able to get the factory ubolts off without breaking them. so, ordering new ubolts is a good safety policy and you'll always have spares if you go offroading and catch a u-bolt on a rock and break it (or to somebody else)

you'll need to know what rear axle you have to order the ubolts, though. you either have the Dana 35 axle or the Chrysler 8.25" axle. the easiest way to tell, it to step back and look underneath the body and see if there is a flat lip below the differential on the axle. if there is a flat lip parallel with the ground, that's the Chrysler 8.25" axle. if it's just oval at the bottom, then it's the Dana 35.

I would also get the 1" transfercase drop kit... as I mentioned above, 1997+ Cherokees are prone to driveline vibrations which usually require modifications to the transfercase and driveshaft. But, any vibrations with a 3" kit are usually solved with a 1" drop. You won't want to install the drop kit until after the lift is installed and you do a test-drive around the block. If you feel vibrations, then you'll want to install the kit then. If you don't feel any, you can sell the drop kit here in the Swap Meet forum.

Before you order anything, take a tape measure or 18" ruler and measure from the center of your rear hubcap straight up to the bottom of the rear flare. factory distance is 17" for an empty Cherokee. If you're under 16" then the Add-a-leaf kit may not last very long for you. My factory rear leafs actually had a negative arch angle to them when I tossed in some tools, so my only option is a full leaf pack. My Jeep was either a lease vehicle or a company car, either way the suspension was abused before I got it. :doh:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• oh, and there are other guys in the club with Cherokees, I'm just the one who posts the most. :innocent:

There are a couple guys who post occasionally that have a LOT of lift and running on 35" tires, stay away from them or you'll start getting jealous and pull out the credit card more often. ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

• t-case drop kit is always good. my drive shaft always popped out when ever i hit the brakes with my 4 inch lift, untill i got the 1inch t-case drop. i was getten good at taken it off and puttin it back in lol :spinrhead:

• 8)I have a tomken 4.5 on my 96 XJ. I am running 33X2.50 Tires But I did cut :doh:fenders. I do not have a SYE and at this point have not dropped my transfercase. I like the Tomkin because the kit was so well engined that after the install. :driving: I had no wobble or vibration and when I had the alignment checked it was OK.

• oh something I forgot, since it's not exactly suspension related...

what wheels do you plan on using with your new 31" tires? And, what width tires do you want to run? 31x10.5" is pretty common, but if you use the factory wheels, the tires will almost certainly rub in a few areas, mostly in the front. so, you'll either need to buy new wheels with a different backspacing when you get the tires (black steel wheels are around $40/each from Quadratec) or use wheel spacers to put the factory wheels out about an inch.

Jerry / Whatevah

• change of plans, i'm gonna buy wheel spacers because i like the wheels i have...

• Why not just a BB? Which is just 2". That's what I had on my XJ and it easily fit 31's. No TC drop was needed and I had no vibes. AAL in the rear and 2" coils in the front. I guess it's all in the owner but with 3" lift I'd be stuffing some 32's in there with some minimal trimming/shaving to the front fenders. Have fun with the XJ!! :wavey:

• hey brenden just though i would say hi since we went to school to gether at ai

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• i have the rustys 3" full replacement leafspring kit on my 1991 XJ and it is deff. more than 3" in the rear....sits like a hot rod even with a couple hundred pounds of junk in the trunk it still sits unevenly.....it netted about 5.25" in the rear and 3.5" in the front....easily fits a 31" tire but i have had 33s on it.... with some spacers in the front and some extended bumpstops you could run them and a little trimming wouldnt hurt.

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!