GWNF...the Cliff Notes version

• I plan on leaving as early as possible on friday morning maybe even thursday night, heading out by myself. :ghostly:

• Let's see if this works...

1. JPEG (1MB) of the Kephart Run area:

2. JPEG (3.3MB) of same image. Click to download:
    http://www.57houstonstreet.com/Kephart.jpg

3. PDF (4.7MB) of same image. Click to download:
    http://www.57houstonstreet.com/kephart.pdf

Sorry 56K modem people, files are large to hold detail.

The trailhead is just above the Rt.33 symbol on this map. You'll see trails marked with boxes (ex.: Kephart Run trail is 547). Some trails are also marked with black dashed lines, those don't allow vehicles. The only specially marked ATV trail (longer brown dashed lines) is 426 (or 32 in the brown diamond), but the other non-specially marked trails (549, 304, 72C, etc.) are fair game.

DrJ

• DrJ, does this sound about right:

So the plan, well for those of use going over early Friday, is to get to GWNF, set up camp(s) on Kephart Run and do a short run on Kephart Run that evening. Drink, Sleep. Then Saturday, do a long run on Dry Run starting sometime in the a.m., return to camp afterwards for an evening of drinks and conversation. Sleep. Sunday, pull up camp, do a short trail run, where?, then return home.

Does that sound about right, or am I missing something?

Also, are we leaving our camping gear setup on Saturday during our run, or is it all coming to the trails with us?

BTW, I will be leaving right after we pull up camp on Sunday, so no trails for me Sunday.

• That sounds about perfect. I'm trying to pick the trail rides now based on the map, talking to the Rangers and to Alan at DE4WD. If that's possible, I'll post the trails here and on that site as well. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us leave Sunday after breaking camp, but just in case, I'll try to have a short trail ready.

What's your modem connection? How was the map loading for you?

DrJ

• I'm on a T1 here at work and it took a few second for the image on the board to display. As far as downloading, it took about 20 seconds each for the pdf and jpg. No complaints.

• A couple of us are planning to leave the Dover area around 5:00pm. So far we are all hotel bound. If anyone else is interested in caravaning down Friday after work let me know and we'll pick a central meeting location.

• A couple of us are planning to leave the Dover area around 5:00pm. So far we are all hotel bound. If anyone else is interested in caravaning down Friday after work let me know and we'll pick a central meeting location.

• I'm hoping the 9:00 am dover crew can show me the way to the hotel once we get into town. $51.75 a night, can't beat it (indoor pool for the kid). Do you know if we pass it on the way Dr J? I don't need to stop because I plan on following you guys to the campsite. Just need a general direction to find my why back to it?

Jason

• We go right through the center of Harrisonburg on Rt.33, so access should be easy for you. Call the hotel and ask them for directions from Rt. 33.

DrJ

• Thanks Dr J. I just checked it out on Mapquest. 33 intersects with 81. I just have to go SW one exit on 81 to Port Republic road.

Jason.

• The wife and I are not leaving Dover until around 9PM so if anyone is interested in taking the late night cruise down, let me know.
    We are going to stay at the hotel b/c we are getting down there so late, that last thing i will want to do is pitch a tent at 2 in the morning...
    :trooper:

• I've talked to Alan (DE4WD "1tonTJ") and Brian (CJ7easternshore), and the trail rides are looking like this (so far):

Friday: set up camp, finish Kephart Run trail
    Saturday: Flagpole Knob/Skidmore Dam loop, then Dry River loop, then a possible night run on Kephart (because it will be familiar to everyone)
    Sunday: break camp, Old Rt. 33 trail (not sure of trail number)

This means Saturday will be a long day, but very interesting. We'll need to hit the trail before 10AM, and we should finish up late afternoon. Lots of places to stop and stretch the kids.

DrJ

• Icky's Weather:

Friday night: scattered Trail Badges
    Saturday: widespread Trail Badges during the afternoon, followed by a few isolated Trail Badges in the evening
    Sunday: slight chance of AM Trail Badges

DrJ

• FYI- Eastern Mountain Sports at Concord Mall is having a big sale if anyone needs any last minute items for GWNF. They have a lot 30-70% off. :peace:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!