Kid Crusher to Family Style

• Anyt thoughts on this?? I picked up a sport cage from a 95 but it had a bent driver side spreader. Thought I could use the ones currently on my 90. It turned out that the one I need connects to the sport cage from the rear (torx goes through the cage into the spreader) unlike my 90 that the spreader acts as the female end and the torx (locking style) goes in from the top b/c the cage acts as the mail end and slides into the spreader. Not sure what to do?? Anyone got any spreaders laying around that have threads in the end so it will attach through the cage? Kinda stuck on this one. Thanks.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• got any pix.. . you lost me...
    could you have the piece you need chopped off the end of the spreaders from the doner cage and welded onto the end of your spreaders???

• Let me get this right your spreader does not have the "male" chunk of steel that fits in to the spreader bar. i just switched mine over and the family has a hole at top right and left corners where the torx blot goes through and screws into the solid piece of metal that is held in place by the "set" bolt on top. are you missing hte piece of steel or is yours just threaded independently and uses no ohter components...Jeez, now ive confused myself wait you just need the spreader bar? you know what go to: chryslerparts.com might be chryslerpartsdirect.com? and ask for page:
    23a-body-sheet metal except doors 1200 sport bar wrangler
    I ahd them fax the page to me and I ordered parts for mine from this fax. it has an exploded view of th ecage and all components I put a 92 family style in my 88 and did have some issues with broken bolts and bottom bracket holes lining up just needed to drill out.

• Sorry, I don't have pictures :doh:

Actually, off my 90 cage, the "male" piece is on the spreader but the newer familiy style cage (which I don't have the spreaders form since they were bent) does not accept the male end like the 90 cage does. The spreader from the new cage was attached from a torx that came in from the back of the cage itself and the spreader had a thread mechanism in the end that attached it to the cage. I will try to find a digital cam to get some pics...I will check thoes pages though...Thanks!!

• They are different (you know that already).. It looks like you need the collar that attaches to the 'bar assembly' Not sure if you can make a retrofit, but here are the pics.

The part number for the collar on the 95 is:5501 6410-1
    The Part number for the bar is: 5517 4746-7

You can find the whole diagram at http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/

Good luck,
    Kevin

• THANKS for the pics....Now I am even more confussed than before...The picture of the 90 Assembly is not how my 90 goes together :doh: :bang: and the spreaders I took off for the 90 don't have the same configuration either...Anyway...alled the stearlership and asked about the adaptor assembly...$54.01 each!!!! Highway robbery I say!!!

May try having it welded!

• I did some more searching.. I found a pic of a 91 cage, but it might be what you have :shrug: Not sure if it will help solve the problem... But it might make things clearer?? It has an 'adapter' that the the other '90' pic didn't have.

Parts:
    1 SIDE BAR - 5502 9692-3
    5 BOLT - J400 7446
    10 ADAPTER - 5501 6410-1
    12 BOLT, Torx Pan Head - J400 7463

Kevin :driving:

• Thanks...I appreciate all the assistance. That does look like what is in mine (90) but the picture of the 95 is still what is getting me. When I pulled the spreaders off the cage b/c they were bent, there was no adaptor and no top bolt :shrug: Also on these drawings, it does not look like the 90/91 have a "male" end coming out where 10 attaches (in the 91). My 90 has this male end that is part of the actual cage and not an adaptor...I think my best bet is to just pull the 90 cage out and then figure out how to make the 95 work.

• Forget the above! I am a MORON!!!!! Took th e padding off mine and realized what I saw, was the adaptor and not a "male" type piece. :idiot:

I am good to go. Sorry to all who spent some time trying to figure out my mistake!!!!

• I was pulling my hair out trying to figurre it out. Lisdten when you tighten the long torx, leave the "set" screw on top loose if you tighten down too much, and dont keep it loose the door will torque down making it difficult to shut. I did it. now it s working fine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!