Winch Rehab Questions

• I'm trying to fix up the winch that came with my XJ. Mechanically it seems to work well, but it has some serious rust issues, and may have a broken seal (pictures below). Ideally I'd like to figure out how to take the gears out and get the casing powdercoated, but I'm not sure that's possible. Also, should the interior grease be changed or just add more grease to it? Is this supposed to be regular maintenance?

Rust Rust Everywhere...

Is this a broken seal of some sort?

All the teeth look good and the grease looks.... greasy?

A fair amount of rust on the interior in the magnet side

Is wrapping the greased ends in paper towels enough to keep them for a couple weeks until it's ready to be put back together?

Any answers & suggestions would be appreciated!

• The rust inside tells me that a seal went bad. Otherwise moisture would not have gotten in there. If moisture got in there then you will want to clean the old grease out and regrease everything. I would contact Mile Marker and talk to them. They may sell a kit or offer some sort of service if you mail it to them.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The rust inside tells me that a seal went bad. Otherwise moisture would not have gotten in there. If moisture got in there then you will want to clean the old grease out and regrease everything.

Hmmm, maybe I missed something but I didn't even see a seal....

I would contact Mile Marker and talk to them. They may sell a kit or offer some sort of service if you mail it to them.

Yeah I'm waiting on some info from them (Thanks Pat), we'll see what they say.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!