Dual Battery setups

• Anyone have any preferences as to how I would set up dual batteries? Any preferences on the wiring kits? Pros/cons Also wondering what is the difference between the red top, yellow top and blue top Optima batteries. I have a red top right now but its about two years old. I would think I should get two new batteries am I right in thinking that? I just got a mean green Dual battery tray. Thanks

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Edited once, last by jbates ().

• i use the mean green setup on my TJ, with Wrangler NW wiring kits....

red is for starting and sometimes has top and side post GM style mounts
    yellow is deep cycle and sometimes has top and side post GM style mounts
    blue is deep cycle with an extra pos and neg post on top

i use two blues, optima told me when using dual setups you need to run the same color battery together.

• FWIW I'd steer clear of Optima's....ever since Johnson Controls bought them the quality and warranty have gone in the toilet. The warranty currently is a 1year replacement unless running "accessories", which includes anything down to foglights, in which case it is reduced to 3mos. Also, optima deep cycles (yellow and blue) are _not_ rated as starting batteries and using them as such will void the warranty immediately. Do a search on pirate or any of the big forums and you'll find the same stories of bad cells/killed batteries and ignored warranties.

For less $$ and the same AGM (absorbed glass mat aka "gel") technology I'd recommend the Deka Intimidator. I went to one in my TJ when my old yellowtop finally bit the dust (it was a pre-johnson control battery and outlasted two blues and one red 'new' versions in my car) and have been very happy. You can find them rebadged as Astro-lite batteries at the battery place on old baltimore pike if in N DE.

Now if you're a cool guy and have $$ burning a hole in your pocket the battery to go with is an Odyssey dry cell...

--Ian

• when you do it you need to wire them cortectly or you make it 24 volts and your system is only 12, i cant remember but i wanna say parrelle but google it first

• when you do it you need to wire them cortectly or you make it 24 volts and your system is only 12, i cant remember but i wanna say parrelle but google it first

Actually you should use an isolator or you negate the benefit of having duals. With two batteries in parallel (series would make it 24volts) you simply double the reserve capacity of your charging system. With an isolator both batteries are charged but only one is used at a time...flip a switch and you can either use both (like when winching or other high-load activity) or the second (self-jumpstart).

• My parents boat was wired with dual batteries. They had a switch that gave them the selection of running off one or the other. You could probably find what you want at a marine store.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Now if you're a cool guy and have $$ burning a hole in your pocket the battery to go with is an Odyssey dry cell...

--Ian

you are correct about this, Quadratec can also get the odyssey batteries....they are the shat!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!