HELP! Something is wrong with my engine.

• It was ok last nite, then I go out this morning to warm it up and the engine SQUELS! After a couple seconds there is smoke coming from around the belt somewhere (by the thermostate).

Can anyone help? Or can anyone stop by. I am in newark/wilmington area.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

• open hood and have someone start it, check to see if all the pulleys are spinning. one of the belt driven pulleys could have frozen.

• I had a leak in the radiator for a couple months, but I put in a new one wednesday... Looks like its the fan clutch. :bang:

Something broken is something new learned.

I put in a new belt like 2 months ago.....

I have put sooo much into this thing the last 3 months its not even funny. At least I am saving all the money on installation.

Sorry to vent :bang: :upset: :cuss:

• can you take a camera phone pic of the front of the engine with the hood up.. that might give us some more ideas as to what it is.. there could be many things wrong with the symptoms.. i think your right getting somone to look is a good idea.. id help out but im busy till monday.. so why not put a pic up.. and we can at least start from there
    hope it works out for you.. im not going to guess at what it is.. because that might be wrong and worry you into buying something you dont need.. belive me ive done or seen that done enought here
    good luck and keep us posted

• i'm not trying to make this sound like you don't know what your talking about. does the smoke smell like rubber? if it does i agree it a pulley , you prob. have a serpintine belt so one of them is bad. if it smells like anti-freeze look for a hose leaking on your exhaust manifold. or freeze plug has blown out. its been cold enough too blow out if its kept outside. i had to replace one of my vee-belts today as well. it was starting too fail. let me know what you find. you can loosen your tensioner pulley and try to turn each one by hand andy that doesn't move easy could be suspect. hope this helps.

• It is the fan clutch ::)

how do you say that, did you stop by?

fan clutch going bad should lead to a overheating condition, not pulling enough air when warmed up, approching hot.

• Mike (Turtle) came by and looked at it with me.

I doubt the smoke was antifreeze because the engine was needle pegged to cold. I was going out to warm it up and the engine only ran for a total of 10 seconds yesterday.

? I know you looked at it with me Mike, but the more I think about it (read my Haynes Manual after I was able to get a ride down to Middletown to get my car) the more I am begining to think its maybe a shaft bearing in the water pump. Its a sharp squelling sound. I havent experienced any cooling problems other than a leaky radiator lately, but I remember hearing a sound a couple of days ago that sounded like a faint howl. Nothing was mechanically malfunctioning and I thought maybe this was the sounds of the new lift and bigger tires.

I wasn't able to "climb a ladder" quick enough to see into the engine yesterday after starting it. What do you think?

They are pretty much in the same area. The fan still turns with a little drag in it like the Haynes Manual says. There was no leakage I could see. I am going to take off the belt and start turning stuff.

I am at 115,000 miles on the same water pump... that I know of

• water pumps can go bad at any time, it doesn't matter if there new or rebuilt. i've seen them fail . changing one isn't to tough, about 2 hours work. make sure you have all the gaskets you need. check your belt as well if its questionable replace it, use a catch pan for your fluids. you might want to check how good you anti-freese is while your at it. if its brown in color concider changing it. if your not handy with a wrench. take plenty of pictures on how to put you belt back on. with as many pulley's that on them make sure you get them going the right way.

• water pumps can go bad at any time, it doesn't matter if there new or rebuilt. i've seen them fail . changing one isn't to tough, about 2 hours work. make sure you have all the gaskets you need. check your belt as well if its questionable replace it, use a catch pan for your fluids. you might want to check how good you anti-freese is while your at it. if its brown in color concider changing it. if your not handy with a wrench. take plenty of pictures on how to put you belt back on. with as many pulley's that on them make sure you get them going the right way.

I did regular maintenace about 2 months ago. I replaced the antifreeze and belt among other things. It figures though that I put in a new radiator in 4 days ago and I will have to drain this thing again :bang:

• I pulled off the belt and turned pulleys. The only one that didnt turn (besides the big one on the bottom that controls the spin) was the water pump pulley. Its a smooth pully, but its supposed to turn, right?

I did see a little bit of antifreeze, but it is right under the upper hose which I just replaced. It could be residual antifreeze from Wednesday.

• All of your pulleys should turn free but the bottom one when you have the belt off .

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• Yes I would think so . not to bad of a job on a jeep . You are looking at around 2 hours of work .

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• Pepboys has a new one for 55$ and a rebiult one for 25$ in stock... Why does it have to be so :censored: cold out today. Wait, I know, it's because I need to work outside.

• your water pump pulley is also connected to the fan and clutch, the smooth pulley should be your idler/ belt tensioner. these will also go bad. n.a.p.a. should have a tensioner in stock.....some where around $30 . if you have anti-freeze right under the water pump. make sure when you get it running . check under the water pump for leaks or a steady drip. this will indcate that the pump is going bad.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!