hydro vs nitro, who likes what??

• skyjacker has one of the few shocks long enough and still affordable for the ol' spring over app. question is, whats gonna give a nicer ride, gas or hydraulic??? only like 6 bucks a piece difference in price, just seems like the gas (cheaper) are gonna be a little smoother ride? pros and cons???

• skyjacker has one of the few shocks long enough and still affordable for the ol' spring over app. question is, whats gonna give a nicer ride, gas or hydraulic??? only like 6 bucks a piece difference in price, just seems like the gas (cheaper) are gonna be a little smoother ride? pros and cons???

This is one of those topics that is going to be a matter of opinion.
    It is also going to depend on its application.
    So a little about the differences first.
    Hydro shocks and Nitro shocks are both oil (hydraulic) filled.
    Nitro shocks are also pressurized with nitrogen, where Hydros are Not.
    The purpose of the pressurized nitrogen is to keep the oil in the shocks from foaming.
    When a shock is cycled raipidly for an "extended" period they will tend to foam.
    Foaming of the shock leads to shock fading (reduced performance).

For slow trail riding rock crawling, hydros are fine and may perform better in rutts and pot holes over Nitros.
    For higher performance and higher speed driving Nitro shocks are more responsive and probably will perform better.
    Hydraulic shocks are usually more ecconomical.
    Nitro shock are probably more prone to failure over Hydro shocks.
    I personally am running the Bilstein 5100 series shocks.
    I hope that helps

• Eh, only do Skyjackers if you have to. Nitros came with my lift, and I can't wait to get rid of them!

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• i second that. do it right. get bielstein's and don't worry anymore. they are more expensive but worth it. plus they have the longest travel i could find

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!