'78 J10 questions

• A friend of mine just bought a brand spankin used 78 J10, I know its supposedly got a 360, auto trans, and quadratrac. Used to be a snowplow truck, its a little rusty but it runs and he got it for $500. As his personal mechanic by right of having a better set of tools than him, I have to admit that Ive never really been around the FSJs and it raining and he has a mud driveway, so I haven't crawled around and looked underneath. What can you guys tell me about it off the tops of your heads? What trans did they have? Isnt there some kind of oiling issue with the AMC V8? Which rear end would it have? Centered or offset cause of the quadratrash? How do you make sense of the knob in the glovebox and the lever in front of the seat?

• Here's a link I had saved:

http://www.delawareja.com/foru…/Articles/?action=gallery

Just download the file.

There was oiling issues with the timing gear or distributor gear I believe. As I recall, the fix is to T into the oil sending unit port and run a pipe over to the front of the timing gear cover (which will have to be drilled and tapped I think). The info should be in that article. Don't get headers. From what I have read, stock exhaust manifolds flow well enough. There are overheating issues with that motor so you might want to go to a high flow water pump and aluminum radiator. That's what my brother did with his ('72 J4000 with a 360) and it works pretty well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks Jerry. I never got the hang of linking to the new gallery.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had a 79 cherokee with the same set-up. TH400 is the tranny. Axles will be offset to passenger side both front and back. They should be the wide track with the way the fender flares look. I am amazed it even has the fender flares. I had mine back in '92 and they were already rotting away. I ran the piss out of it (16-22 year old and it had 85,000 miles with a snow plow when I got it). It was over 20 years old when we sold it and I never had any problems with it. The Quadratrac belt in the transfer case can get stressed by towing, but everything else is pretty strong. Never had any overheating and We towed campers and tractors all summer in Indiana.

I currently have a 79 CJ with a 258 Quadratrac setup. The knob in the gove box locks the differential or something. It is used in emergencies it says. My Dad always told me not to touch it. Few times I did it appeared to limit wheel slip. It runs off of vacuum (not sure how and I have rebuilt this jeep from the ground up) back to the quadratrac case. When properly activated it will light up a red light on the dash that says "Emer".

The other handle might be a low range shifter. Neither of mine had this, but my dad did talk about the option of getting a reducer in the tranny. Basically makes it a 6 speed instead of a 3 speed. top speed would be like 15MPH. Would be great for plowing.

• thanks for the links guys-exactly what I was looking for
    I was over his house this weekend to check it out and ended up getting stuck in his driveway
    as the frost is thawing it turns clay soil to a mud with the consistency of wet cement. When I hit the patch of "sippy hole" my gr cher stopped moving like I had turned off the key. It took 4 hours of digging, lifting with the hilift to get long boards under the wheels, and "borrowing" a front tow hook bracket from his ZJ (mine didnt come with hooks or skidplates, and I havent gotten around to adding a hook on the front till now), the finally 3 full pulls of winching with the hi lift to get it to a point where I could get out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!