Shaft in NP231

• Should the shaft move front to back at all? after I have the output yoke off I can move the shaft about 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch. Is this normal cause I think this is the loud knock that I have been hearing.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• There shouldnt be any play....

...with it properly assembled but the more I think about it the many times I've had my POS Tera 4:1 apart to attempt to get it from marking its territory (along with other cases) when the yoke is off it can wiggle a bit as the bearing is a slip fit and not pressed and the chain can have some slop. It's likely not noticeable/less on a relatively new case but on a higher mileage one may have more. When the yoke is installed and bottoms on the shaft there should be no play.

--Ian

• Yeah there is no play after I put the yoke back on. I took the case apart and still didnt see anything wrong. I dont what else to do.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Yeah there is no play after I put the yoke back on. I took the case apart and still didnt see anything wrong. I dont what else to do.

May not be the tcase...the driveline has a tendency to transmit vibes and noises and fool you. When I blew up the gears/diff the last time in my D44 (yeah, the last time...happened one too many!) I _swore_ it was the tcase letting go but when I got to investigating it was actually the diff. you have any play in the dshaft? Can you spin the driveshaft any w/ the rear tires on the ground?

--Ian

• No spin in the driveshaft the flange on the axle moves like maybe an 1/8th of an inch. Oh and the driveshaft is brand new too.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Edited once, last by jbates ().

• No spin in the driveshaft the flange on the axle moves like maybe an 1/8th of an inch. Oh and the driveshaft is brand new too.

With the tranny in 4th (1:1), tcase in 2hi, and the rear tires off the ground how far can you turn the dshaft back and forth? There should only be a small amount of play (like 1/8 turn or less) any more and you could get a clunk in your driveline.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!