Transmission Problems

• trans fluid runs through the radiator to cool it down thats what the radiator has to do with the trans, and it is possible for the radiator to have an internal leak and put coolant into the trans. when coolant is not changed it can become rust colored and could look like mud on the dipstick for the trans...wasnt saying that was the problem i was just putting an idea out there.

• How did you do it Mike. I couldn't figure out how to not only tap it but to find a 90 degree fitting that would fit in there. I'd love for someone to help me do this sometime. I don't have the know how to drop the tranny myself and dismantle the torque converter and do this mod.

I need to do mine as well

• ::)Trans fluid does not run through the radiator.... if anything transmissions have a seperate cooler that may or may not be mounted near the radiator... but jeeps do not have external coolers ::)

Sorry Turtle
    Mine first runs through the Radiator then through a small Cooler in front of the radiator.

Soon I hope to convert an AC cooler and use it for the tranny coolant.

• ::)Trans fluid does not run through the radiator.... if anything transmissions have a seperate cooler that may or may not be mounted near the radiator... but jeeps do not have external coolers ::)

Actually, my XJ (96 AW4) does run the transmission fluid through the radiator (in different passages than the coolent obviously) to cool it. I found this was insufficient for cooling when pulling a landscaping trailer so I added a large external cooler and DRASTICLY reduced my transmission AND engine temps when pulling. FYI. ::)

• Huh...I've never seen an auto car or light duty truck that _didn't_ run through the rad. It's much cheaper for the OEM's that way...

In fact the replacement radiator that I put in Jen's TJ had the fittings for the integrated cooler. In my MJ when I converted it to auto I just used an external Hayden cooler and never had an overheating issue on the trail or pulling/hauling stuff.

--Ian (reminded of the fact that he wants to add a larger cooler/pan/gauge to his truck.)

• I never looked closely at an auto jeep, I just assumed that since everyone puts on an external cooler, they didn't come with coolers..... somebody smack me for violating my own pet-peeve about posting things you don't actually have experience with.....

• ::)WTF does the radiator have to do with the transmission?

auto trans use the radiator as a transmission fluid cooler as well. if the internal piping has decayed, the 2 fluids will mix.

• Whats the news on your jeep ?

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• I'll get it back tomorrow minus the temperature sensor. (He's backed up do to inspections needing done by the end of the month) He said he'd get back to it next week. All seems fine. The filter seemed to keep all the debris out of the trans (Thank GOD) It seems that the vent hole got plugged by the mud and then overheated spewing fluid out the dip stick. Other then that it all seems okay now. I'd still like to do the vent hole mod later on but for now I'm back on the road for under $400. (Parts and Labor for all the new accessories and fluid flush and change)

Not toooo bad I guess. Unless you ask my wife. :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• soooo, what you're saying is you're ready to hit the pine barrens with us this weekend? :) LOL

seriously though, glad to hear no catastrophic damage man

• Sorry to hear of your misfortune...
    that is x2 for you in the last year.

Good to hear it was not as bad as the last time

I need to do that vent mod too

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!