½ Cab on a CJ, YJ, TJ

• I saw this pic on another forum and liked it. I've seen people do this with bikini tops and wind breakers (or whatever they are called). I like the idea of the hard top version for the winter time.

I remember someone, Omaha I believe, talking about modifying a hard top that will fit over a full cage. I was wondering if anyone tried this or had ideas of how to do it. My thinking is that the rear wall would have to be slid in behing the seats before the top was put on. Then some screws or latches would be used to hold the two pieces together. Some of the custom cages would be easier because the rear bars attach to the main hoop more "inward" than a stock roll bar does...typically.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I saw this pic on another forum and liked it. I've seen people do this with bikini tops and wind breakers (or whatever they are called). I like the idea of the hard top version for the winter time.

I remember someone, Omaha I believe, talking about modifying a hard top that will fit over a full cage. I was wondering if anyone tried this or had ideas of how to do it. My thinking is that the rear wall would have to be slid in behing the seats before the top was put on. Then some screws or latches would be used to hold the two pieces together. Some of the custom cages would be easier because the rear bars attach to the main hoop more "inward" than a stock roll bar does...typically.

http://www.gr8tops.com and AEV (it's the brute's top) both make a 1/2 top for TJs and LJs...there's a thread somewhere on pirate about BTF making one fit on a caged unlimited...had disconnects and was gasketed at the top to allow it to be removed.

--Ian

• my idea was to make the back half on a hinge, but i could never get a hold of a tj top cheap enough that i could cut it up and not be afraid of being out like 700 bucks.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• my idea was to make the back half on a hinge, but i could never get a hold of a tj top cheap enough that i could cut it up and not be afraid of being out like 700 bucks.

That's exactly how the BTF rig is...if you look at the thread the rear section and tire carrier pivot away when the clamps are released to allow the top to come back and be removed. It's also got a killer sheetmetal bikini. I like the rig as a whole but it's a little too 'blingy' for my tastes.

--Ian

• yeah no the BTF top is sick but i wanted the rear of the top to hing, not the rear section of the cage, the bikini is sick withe the flaperwheel design they did on it.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Does the rear portion of that cage bolt to the front portion of that cage via the funny looking fitting bolted to the top?

That's pretty slick looking.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• yeah those fittings are very sick and are setup really cool

• You know...you could make A PORTION of the rear wall hinge out.

You might want to mess around with an old CJ hard top first since you can pick them up slightly damaged for $50 to free.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• BTW those fittings and hinges are pretty standard in the drag racing world for door bars on 'street' cars.

--Ian

what are they called besides cool looking connectors thingys?

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• yeah i have thought about getting a cj top but i think i am gonna wait on that whole idea till i get full hard doors

• I was thinking of trying it with the extra top I got but I got enough stuff going on and gave it to Deadfeet.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• those little connectors are for the cage not the top. They make part of the cage removable.

Yeah, guess I wasn't clear on that...the piece sticking out from the hardtop is part of the inner cage passing through a gasket on the top.

what are they called besides cool looking connectors thingys?

Door bar pivot/hinge/latch/whatever or tube clamps/joints...seen them referred to by alot of names. Those are nice ones...alot of the cheaper variants simply use a section of tube cut in half lengthwise with half on each end of the doorbar. A hole is drilled through them and the stub where it attaches then the lower has a bolt through it as the hinge and the upper uses a pin that can be pulled to pivot the bar out of the way. FYI the ones used on there were through Camburg Engineering

Here's a pic from the PBB thread:

--Ian

• The latest issue of Jrations(standard issue 7) has a write up(pages 36-39) on a L J with a GR8tops half top on it and they ran the bars though the top.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Edited once, last by 92Renegade ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!