C&D Canal Cleanup Report

• Tony, Harry D and I arrived a few minutes late and found everyone
    waiting under the bridge.

Paul told us the dumpster was here and the tree was cut out of the way.
    We set it up to do one section in the morning then go looking of other areas after lunch.
    Unaware of the large amount of trash we were not sure we would need such a large dumpster.

We got started by splitting into two groups and started picking up at
    two piles of trash.

Ian, Tony and a few others went to the end of the trail and winched out
    a large, heavy electrical control box.

We stayed in this area until we broke for lunch.

By noon we had filled our 40yrd dumpster and had over flow on the ground. :razz:

After lunch we again broke into two groups one hitting a large area
    and the other walking along the canal picking up along the road.

The group with trailers went to a large clearing that looks like it was used as a dumping ground.

We picked up the large items to haul back to the dumpster and the smaller items we piled up.

We also accidentally destroyed what looked to be someone's
    Hide-away. We removed a big pile of trash and found what looked to be a bed. Hopefully this person found a warmer place to spend the winter.

Tony and I went to another area found our way blocked by a gate.
    We backtracked and found we needed to go through town to get there
    One Lady looked at us strangely as we passed by several times taking trash away from the dumped area. On our last trip she had decided we were taking trash away not bringing more and gave us a big friendly wave. :wavey:

We finished the day by properly disposing of the Flag you see in the pictures.

We had a great turnout and a fun day.
    I want to thank everyone for coming out and lending a hand for the cleanup.

• well I would like to say I had a absolute blast. I loved spending the day with everyone and getting to use the winch a little 2. joe left out the fact that he blew a bead and chris had to break out the on board air to get the tire off and reset the bead.(oh this was on his trailer). me and Ian got to devise a major sawsall plan for his mj too. I was absolutly amazed with the amount of trash that we collected in the very small area we were in. we didnt even begin to touch the areas where I remember there being a lot of trash at from 4 or 5 years ago when I went there with the bronco. Anyway thanks for a great tiem and hope to see you all out there again in the spring

Oh and thanks a ton Joe for helping me properly disposing of the flag and of course the ride... and thanks to donnie for the use of his lighter

• Hopefully the surrounding community will take new pride in the area and help prevent it from getting out of hand instead of saying, "Hey, there's a bunch more room now. Let's empty out are back yards."

Sounds like a good job done. One of these days the canal office will think ahead and just get two dumpsters instead of one.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sorry didn't mean to forget Chris' help with the OBA
    It worked great We used the impact to remove and install the tire. Then we used the air chuck reseated the bead with ease.

Thanks again Chris :up:

• I knew I gassed up in the morning before hitting the canal (knew a quarter tank wasn't going to last me). Glad I could help out. Any reason to bust out the air tools in the middle of nowhere is a good excuse for me. Had a great time.

-Chris

• I had a great time at the clean up.
    The ride home was a different story though.
    99% of the red lights stopped me. :soapbox:
    I ran out of gas between Elkton and North East, Not a problem I carry 2 gallons just for that reason.
    At the last red light on my way back to Rising Sun my Jeep got stuck in second gear and I had to limp back to the shop and call my brother for a ride home. :cry:

Monday morning I had our service manager (Bill) call around for another tranny. So I went out to unhook the trailer and put it away by hand and found my Jeep wasn't stuck in second anymore. :hmm: Bill found another tranny for me and had it shipped to the shop and I stayed after work and swapped it in since I don't trust the old tranny anymore, So now I'm ready for RC. :up:

• Received the following email, in response to one from me, from David Hawley, the engineer at the C&D Project Office who worked with us to set up this event. Just thought I'd share:

As info, my email to him stated what areas we had done, and a concern that the people who pick up the dumpster might have a problem with how full it was.

Paul

• Maybe we should send a note saying that if they ever need any special clean up help between now and then that they should consider including us? I read in the paper about proposals to make a park land (perhaps national park) out of the area.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Myself and my girl nina had a great time hanging out with everyone and helping out. I enjoyed helping out with winching out the huge power box. I know Im kinda new around the club and all .... Im just trying to fit in around here. Hopefully by end of Nov I can get My 89XJ back on the road at latest by X-Mas before winter hits.

1989 Cherokee

=========
    formally 89cherokee

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!