Hurculiner this week

• Im planning on hurculining my tub this week. Anyone have any tips to make this go smootly? Im probobly just going to roll it on and touch it up with a brush. I can picture myself wiping off alot of overspray if i used a spray gun. Let me know what you guys think.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I think it might be too cold. Do you have a heated garage to work out of? You need to have the Jeep metal at the right temperature, not just the surrounding air. If doing it indoors consider the fumes and extended drying time.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I dont know about the time for a entire tub to dry but I Just did my new bumper in herculiner this past weekend and It came out great....I put on about three coats starting late friday night...letting It dry Into saturday...2nd coat early saturday morning and then 3rd coat around mid afternoon when It was about semi-dry...I did this under an outdoor porch because of the rains all weekend but It came out perfect.....

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Quote from "2000sahara"

Im planning on hurculining my tub this week. Anyone have any tips to make this go smootly? Im probobly just going to roll it on and touch it up with a brush. I can picture myself wiping off alot of overspray if i used a spray gun. Let me know what you guys think.

Ed-

IMHO I'd reconsider rolling it...it's quicker, much less work to spray it with an undercoating gun, and it seemed to lay down better than when Paul rolled it on his XJ interior. When I did mine I cranked the regulator down to ~60psi and the liner is so heavy that there's virtually no overspray. Being the lazy bastard that I am I did very little masking and still came out with only a bit of liner on one of the kick panel plastics. It'll likely take a _full_ day to dry enough in this weather, though. You're welcome to use my garage and compressor/gun if you'd like, we just need to move the YJ.

--Ian

• Dont think temp will be a problem, the web site says any temp works it will just take a little longer to dry. But the spraying sounds tempting. Would a regular spray gun work?
    Ed

Dont think temp will be a problem, the web site says any temp works it will just take a little longer to dry. But the spraying sounds tempting. Would a regular spray gun work?
    Ed

Nah, you need a large orifice :doh: :hmm: ...the good old $6 harbor freight undercoating gun works best. I've got one if you need to borrow it.
    I wonder what their definition of "a little" longer to dry is. I let mine sit for 24hrs before starting to bolt the interior stuff back in and was really careful for a couple days as it still seemed tender...of course I did use almost an entire gallon in an MJ cab. :suspicious: :laughing: :laughing:

--Ian

• Id like to put a nice thick coating on it. When can i come get the gun? Or better when can i use your garage? everything is torn out but i can easily throw a seat in it to drive over. Thanks Ian
    Ed

• Is a 15 gallon compressor good enough or do you typically need more like with regular paint?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

Is a 15 gallon compressor good enough or do you typically need more like with regular paint?

It'd likely be sufficient...might be running darn near continuously, though. I found that spraying at ~60psi gave the best results so the lower pressure should help out.

--Ian

Id like to put a nice thick coating on it. When can i come get the gun? Or better when can i use your garage? everything is torn out but i can easily throw a seat in it to drive over. Thanks Ian
    Ed

Your choice...I'll be home after work (~5pm). If you want to use the garage it's not an issue, it'll give me an excuse to procrastinate some more on my rocker panels. :doh: :spinrhead:

--Ian

• I don't know if I would spray it. I rolled mine on and I can't see how you would have enough control to get around the dash area with a gun. I would hate to have overspray with that stuff. I POR15 my tub then hurculined it. It took roughly 4 coats to get the thickness I wanted. I also second the weather comment. If your not doing it in a heated garage your going to wait a looooooong time in between coats. Make sure to pull all the drain plugs and leave them open. Replace all the seat bolts and seat belt bolts in there original holes after removing the seats. Go buy some of that painters tape and wrap around the bolts prior to installing them. This will keep the holes clean as well as the bolts. Tape comes off easy afterwards. Good luck!

• I was going to do it today but the rain put a wrench in my plans. If it keeps raining im just going to roll it on so i dont have to worry about taking off the top and masking stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!