Commando questions

• A guy i work with just aquired a 1968 commando. Everything is there except the rear axle. I was wondering what rear axle did these come with (d44, d20)? Also was this thing built on a CJ frame....would cj axles bolt up? Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• That would have been an off center Dana 44 with 19 splined axles (I think 2 piece). Find any CJ5 of the same era up to '71 (?) and it will fit. If he finds a '70 CJ5 Dana 44 grab it! I'm pretty sure that was the ONE year they put in 30 spline one piece axles in an off center Dana 44.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• A guy i work with just aquired a 1968 commando. Everything is there except the rear axle. I was wondering what rear axle did these come with (d44, d20)? Also was this thing built on a CJ frame....would cj axles bolt up? Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ed

comando's where basically made so that kaiser could clear out their warehouse. the frame and most of the body is specific to them, the suspension is a hodgepodge of different year cj's, and so are the axles

• Just looked in my book and realized I was wrong about the t-case. The book says all Commandos had Dana 20s which means the rear diff would be centered. In that case, tell him to look for a Dana 44 rear from a '72 to '75 Dana 44. They will have 30 spline axles. I have the housing from one but the axles are gone. He could probably get after market axles for it if he has trouble finding a complete rear.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!