The axles are here.

• I was just wondering what was special with a high pinion. Obviously they are sought after, they must be better but I was just wondering why :question:
    I'm learning as I go and greatly respect the wisdom from those who have done it all before. :help:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• nice pic keith...really puts things in perspective! so turtle, since the axle's just sitting around - any chance of addressing steering issues in it beforehand? (relocating the swaybar brackets and dropping in the trackbar and draglink higher up???) just wondering. oh, and enjoy your 4.88's....i know i sure do!
    chris

• I wish I could address the steering but I am tapped out after the disc brake conversion. I can deal with the steering it is the not stopping part that scares me. I thought long and hard about the WJ conversion but it is alot of $$ and alot of work to throw at the 30. My eventual goal is to look for a HP 44 with Hi steer knuckles already on it, if I am doing alot of welding and cutting I might as well just put coil buckets on a stonger axle. But that is for a much much later date, I just needed to address my gears as the 3.73's and 35's is sometimes a bit difficult to deal with.

• Well....the axles came in today and after a short drive to Philly, they are now residing in Turtle's workshop. What was the first thing you do to a brand new axle that you just paid a lot of money for and had it shipped from across the country!!!!! CUT IT UP. By the time I got over there to get some pictures, Turtle had the majority of the upper brackets cut off the 44 to make room for the truss. After some crazy dual grinding we made room to weld the truss up. The discs will be put on later this week.
    Here are some pics to drool over.

-Chris

• Quote from "turtle"

I thought you were supposed to cut nicely braced and reinforced brackets off of new axles :shrug: Wheww there was alot of metal on there, now there is alot more metal on there.

That the truss for the rockkrawler triangulated rear? I'm curious to check out the rest of their longarm setup...the only reasons that I'd axed them from my list was the funky single upper front and some concerns about the quality of their springs and shocks.

--Ian

• Yes it is, I have the bolt in truss right now which is functional but it is knocking the hell out of my gas tank skid. I have the long arm upgrade along with RE 4.5" springs and the extreme duty front track bar. I actually like the front torque arm setup vs. the radius arm setup. Though if I had more available cash I would ahve done the clayton as it is a great kit.

• Holy trusses BATMAN! That's a huge hunk of metal on top of that rear!

Won't it interfere with your articulation? Why is it so big?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!