Brake warning light stays on

• 90 yj, brake warning light some times on, somtimes goes out. park at night it can be on... in morning its out but also park at night out and be on in morning. no effect one way or other on brake system every thing seems ok. no leaks no loss of pedal but seems to stay on lately more and more ??? is this a brake switch prob or trouble on the horizon :help:

• i just had to fix my switch on the e-brake itself. mine would come on until you release the brake. the "snap" of the release would make the center conductor in the switch move just enough that it wouldnt turn back on when i put the brake back on. (opposite problem as you)

a pair of pliers and a little tweak and you will be back in action

• checked e-brake it was all the way off... but it was ,as mellow yellow said, a little tweak of the switch behind the e-brake and problem solved. just another jeep gremlin fix ha ha THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

• :laughing: i just pulled the light bulb out of the dash!!!! :razz:

I hope you had your brake system checked before doing that. Loss of fluid pressure could be one cause of the light coming on. The light plugs into the proportioning valve.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I thought the only thing that caused the light to com on was the e-brake switch.

I remember on my old YJ (89) the E-brake would pop off if a bug farted nearby. That caused it to roll out of its parking space at work and crack the front grill of the Benz parked behind me at work. I lucked out cause the guy was trading it in that night and it had already been appraised, so they had to take it "as is" After that I replaced it. That was before the recall.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• On top of the proportioning valve there are wires that I believe are for the warning light. Of course, my warning light doesn't work either. :laughing:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• On top of the proportioning valve there are wires that I believe are for the warning light. Of course, my warning light doesn't work either. :laughing:

Idiot lights are for idiots. :laughing:

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!