Bumper extension removal

• I'm trying to remove the plastic factory extensions from the front bumper to give my 98 TJ a somewhat custom/different look for free. But, I can't even begin to turn the screws that are holding the extensions in place. I've tried both metric and standard allen wrenches with no luck, and I'm wondering if they are an odd size or are not allen head at all. The shop manual doesn't even identify the type of screws, much less the size. Can anyone help with tips on removing those suckers?! Thanks!!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• i think they are torx but im not sure.

2003 TJ 4.0L, hardtop, Artec Trussed 8.8, 5.5 long arm currie joints, sye Tatton shaft, 35" km2s, barnes 4x4 belly up skid, 11,000lb qtec winch AtoZ fab bumper and lots of rustys stuff

• For that fact kick them off. There just plastic :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Well, here's what happened....they are not torx screws after all. They are allen head. But, they were so rusted that it didn't matter -- they weren't coming off. I bought a tap set at Lowe's to drill them out and remove them, but that actually didn't work either. So, I cut off the plastic with a reciprocating saw, and then had to grind the screws from inside the bumper. They were very hard screws and it was a bear, but they are now off. Sorry I had to trash the plastic extensions (in case I need them in the future), but that's the way it goes I guess. I think somebody manufactures a plastic "plug" that covers up the hollow ends. Right?

• Actually, the Jeep dealerships will have those flat end caps you speak of, if anyone is interested.. I had them on my TJ's bumper before I sold it. They were cheap, but I can't put an exact number to them. Should be less than $20. Here are the parts numbers:

55078138AA - front caps(x2)

55078139AA - rear caps (x2)

6508712AA - pins (need 6 of them)

If they can't find them by part number, tell them to search the 2006 model year Wranglers because I believe that is the only year they produced these new, flat ends.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• I just hacked mine off with my pocket knife ...... mine are hex on my TJ.... that looks nice on Diablo's....

That cow bell is SWEET !! and im DEFINATELY giving mine the "shorty" bumper .. I like that! will it pass inspection?

• Cut your bumper to make a shorty, Looks better..

http://www.stu-offroad.com/bumper/stockbump/bumper.htm

I like your idea of cutting the bumper to make it a shorty. I was thinking of taking my TJ to a local metal shop, where I think they'll cut it for a fee. I assume that job requires first rate metal cutting tools to do it right.

I'd also like to know if a shorty bumper is ok with Da Man at the inspection lanes.

• Go to the hardware store.. 4" grinder and about 4-5 cutting wheels... maybe $50 probably take you about an hour or 2... thats what im gonna do when i get home.. 1st thing... im just gonna chop mine off with my torch and smooth it with the grinder ,i'll prolly leave a piece to bend over the hole so it looks solid...and tack it in place.... I really like that look! lol, im excited to get home now....

I really dont know what the inspection dudes will say about it... :shrug:

I guess i'll just keep the hacked off pieces and just duct tape em on when i fail.. :laughing:

• All you need is a bumper. You wont fail. Best way to cut them is to remove the bumper, use a 10" or 12" circular miter saw with a metal cutting blade. Also a portaband saw will work great.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• groovy.. then no worries on inspection .... ;D

yep, a chopsaw with a metal cuttin blade would be easier... that would take all of 30 seconds to do... it would take longer gettin the bumper off.. good idea... :up:

but i like fire..... so im gonna use my torch & grinder :welder:

OHH and im gettin myself a late x-mas present.. a mig welder! so it wont be long im gonna start fabbin up some stuff ;D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!