Am I thinking in the right direction?

• ???

The auto's need deeper gearing than the manual transmissions. I think you may have your columns reversed. Your "auto" gearing is spot-on for a 6-spd Rubi though... ;D

• The auto's need deeper gearing than the manual transmissions. I think you may have your columns reversed. Your "auto" gearing is spot-on for a 6-spd Rubi though... ;D

Depends if it's a 3 or 4 speed auto.

Like Ed said, any deeper with a 3 speed and you'll be turning 4K at 65 mph.

• with 33s I say run what you brung and carry shafts and tools! you probably wont ever break a rear shaft who in deja has with 33s to much web wheeling says the guy on 1 tons. lock the front with a lock rite and enjoy your extra money that you saved not being a big huge guy

Daddanlena blew a passenger 35 shaft last year. I think he might have blown the other side, too. not sure.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Josh,

Play around with this....

http://ramchargercentral.com/b…x2.php?action=calculators

it is a calculator for gears. you can either put in your stock tire and gear and see what you should have for larger tires, or if you know your current gears/tires and like the config then use that to calculate for larger tires, or you can do the calculation based on desired speed, rpm, tire size and it will spit out the recommended gears.

HTH

• ???

The auto's need deeper gearing than the manual transmissions. I think you may have your columns reversed. Your "auto" gearing is spot-on for a 6-spd Rubi though... ;D

Huh? With the added slippage of a torque converter you can get away with taller gears with an auto.

--Ian (what do I know...I run 5.38's and am planning to swap in an auto)

• stick, or auto? I do a lot of highway driving, because all that is around me is highway. I've got the route 1 bridge to contend with everyday.

Wheeling its fine, highway not so much.

• Josh, make sure you have 3:73's now. My TJ came with 3speed auto and 3:07's. I have 4:10's now with my 35's and can still hold 75mph easily.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I'm running 33's with 3:73 gears now and I have an auto. shift points are a little off especially at the 60mph mark. I was told that putting in the right speedo gear would correct some of that. Is that true?

• Let me ask you this. What do you want to do with it that you can't do on 33's. I'll be honest with you I liked mine better on 33's then on 35's. If I had to do it again I'd leave mine on 33's and get a dana 44 rear. With the 8.8 that I have now I'm kind of stuck on 35's. If I go 33's I'll drag the pumpkin over everything. Also on 35's things begin to get to "Easy" and I use that term loosly. Of course I could run reds with the S&S guys but then again I don't want to destroy my jeep. If your even considering keeping that as a DD then I'd stay 33's. Ever since I put on 35's I very rarely use my jeep on the road. Kind of took the fun out of it when I get harrassed by the local cops about my tires and lift. Most of the time unless I'm in DE or MD I trailer mine. I know in DE it's not that big of a deal but it's still not practical as a DD.

Just something to think about.

i agree 100% if i could do it over again...i would have stayed at 33's the day i went to 35's with 4.56 gears my jeep was no longer a practical dd...thus my reason for selling it

• On an auto I'd go 33's and 3:73's. Go with a 44 rear and lock it if you want. I personally liked the challenge of being open but now that I have my lockers I do like the security of having them. Build it TUFF not BIG. :up:

i agree with the building it tuff not big.. i think 33's are the biggest my jeep will see for a long long time. now all my money is going into "tuffer" components

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!