• In my 1978 CJ all of my dash lights went out. Is it possible the light switch is bad? I was thinking maybe the wiper on the reostat( the part that makes it dimmable) A new light switch is fairly cheap but how does the pull knob come out of the switch? The new switch doesnt come with one. Thanks for any help.

• not sure if it pertains, but on my '79 ford the shaft of the light switch was released by a spring-loaded button on the switch housing behind the dash. you had to reach back there, press the button in, and it would release the detent on the shaft allowing you to pull it through the dash itself. it was then just a matter of loosening the retaining nut from the front and disconnecting the wire connecter in the back.

• It's the same on a CJ.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Dash lights, CJs have dash lights??? Wow , have to look into that...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Dash lights, CJs have dash lights??? Wow , have to look into that...

Yeah, I generally try to avoid looking down there when I'm driving at night anyway...plus I want to to be able to honestly answer the trooper when he asks if I know how fast I was going, "Well...uhhhhm...no."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!