Mod advise for a noob please.

• Hello all. I haven't contributed a lot to this forum or become a member yet as I'm still trying to learn so much about jeeps and jeeping. I'm a MTBing man myself with some quad and dirt biking so I have a whole new lingo to learn. It's been overwhelming trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Be kind. hahaha. So I am looking at a nice tax return and I have some money saved for this project and I'd like to spend some of it on the jeep. As a bog standard 91 wrangler what can or should I do if I want to get out and about this summer and join you guys on some runs? I'm thinking that I can't run it as is. Or can I?

Or is there a 'jeeping for dummies' section? How did you guys all start out?

Peace, Marty.

• Hey marty I am right with you. We can work through this together. I just got my Jeep a couple weeks ago. thats a good idea to use your tax return for your jeep. I don't think I'll have enough on my return to do much.

• if it were me, i'd pay off bills with my refund, wheel the jeep as-is a few times to figure out what i want to do, and then determine a build plan from that point. there'll be plenty of time in the future to go into debt from the jeep!
    chris :wavey:

• I totally agree with Chris :up:

93 YJ 5spd w/ 4.10s, 3.5&WCF_AMPERSAND" black diamond suspension lift, 33&WCF_AMPERSAND" BFG all-terrains, crager 397s, alpine mp3 head unit and amp, 4.0TB, K&amp;N air intake<br />2008 Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7 V8 (no mods yet, but prob soon)

• I don't know man..I've seen a picture of that jeep. You might want to start with some of that rust. JK :razz: I guess it's like everyone says..you have to try in order to know where to go from there. My jeep will soon have 33's and 3 inch of lift....but then again I mainly stick to the beach. Not too many rocks out there...just tourons!!! :D nice to see you on here!

• Thanks all for the quick responses.

Quadna and Turtle's advise rings true with me. If I'm feeling my way into jeeping and not sure if it is "for me" then this would make sense. The cash isn't so much the issue. I am a single guy working hard with no responsibilities its more of a time, knowledge and effort thing. hahaha.

Definitely some food for thought though as I didn't realise I could take her on trails without mods. I'd need some spares to bring just in case I think I read, and on beaches I'll need a tire gauge and some extra gear. I've been trying to learn by reading a lot of posts, now all I need is my schedule to allow me to come out and play. hahaha

Perhaps I'll just buy another MTB to haul round in my jeep or get the jeep a new paint job instead with my tax monies. hahaha.

take care, Marty.

• I don't know man..I've seen a picture of that jeep. You might want to start with some of that rust. JK :razz: I guess it's like everyone says..you have to try in order to know where to go from there. My jeep will soon have 33's and 3 inch of lift....but then again I mainly stick to the beach. Not too many rocks out there...just tourons!!! :D nice to see you on here!

Yah, She's rusty. Perhaps that's the tax refund right there. hahaha.

Perhaps I'll stick around. :laughing:

• and on beaches I'll need a tire gauge and some extra gear.

You need to purchase a permit ($65 for one year for delaware resident) at http://www.destateparks.com/Activities/surffish/surffish.htm

You need a board, a jack, a shovel, a tire gauge, tackle box, bait, and of course a 10 foot pole, at the very minimum.

Driving on the beaches is one of the best things about summer.

I didn't realise I could take her on trails without mods. I'd need some spares to bring just in case

Honestly, I don't think you'll have to worry about it (unless you have a tie rod sitting around you can throw in the back). Just make sure you bring a tow strap. Technically you need a battery tie down, cb radio, tow hooks (front & rear), and a tow strap.

• dont really need a cb just get some one to go with you thats has another vehicle

• And I say.... just take every bit of spare cash you can find and pour it into your jeep... even if you only take it to the mailbox and back... Something sick and twisted about how much fun it is to mod it... I also have only been on the beach but plan to hit a trail run once I get a beater to use for work...

And if you haven't hit the wife and kids scenario yet, I say go to town on it.... Worse thing is you wasted some cash... not like you spent your kids private school money...

JEEP.... Just Empty Every Pocket......
    So it is written....

• and of course a 10 foot pole, at the very minimum.
    Driving on the beaches is one of the best things about summer.

No need for that . I do just fine with the 8 and 9 ft I use .
    Welcome to the site and enjoy the ride !
    Watch for trips to George Washington National Forest in WV
    Great trip to attend .

• I took my jeep to RC when it was stock all but 29" tires. We took the Liberty to GWNF when it was stock, man it looks little in those pics.
    Quite a few of us wheeled our jeeps before modding them. You'd be surprised what it can do. Besides, it's waterproof up to the windows :)

• I can't believe we have two pages of posts and nobody suggested skids yet. If I was going to the trails with a stock rig, that would be most important thing. That way u have a better chance of spending future funds on mods instead of repairs.

Of course, if your just building a mall crawler that looks bad or a beach runner (like me) them skip the skids. LOL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!