Hub bolts?

• Anybody know where I can get some 12 pt bolts for the front left hub assembly? I blew my bearing and have to replace the hub, but when I tried to get one out, it snapped, and to get the hub off gangster style (actually, probably more like idiot style), I flattened the heads on the other two. I'm thinkin maybe lowes or home depot would have some grade 8's, just in a standard 6pt head, but the threads looked a little off (granted I didn't have a bolt with me last time I looked). Also, if I can't find the aforementioned bolts, would it be ill advised to tap the hub out to the next size up, or should I be ok if it comes down to it?

• Try Fastenal (http://www.fastenal.com/web/lo…tion=search&zip=&state=DE) or a good local hardware store if you can't find a Fastenal store nearby. TrueValue usually has a better bolt selection than Home Depot does. Plus, their employees are either just as stupid or a LOT smarter, so it can't hurt to check there. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Can you replace them with regular 6 point bolts?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• well, the 12 point's are shouldered bolts...so a regular bolt wouldn't work. i won't get into the semantics of which grade is better, shank length, or metric vs. standard...but i'm willing to bet the dealer would have them for only a buck or two each.

• out of curiosity, is there a metric equivilant to Grade 8? I saw that Home Depot and True Value had the little sections of grade 8, but were all SAE, and their metric bins didn't say anything. As a side note, I picked up some 12x1.75x80mm bolts and lock washers to put in there for now, and if that doesn't work i'll go find a dealer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!