opinions on a winch

• have a chance to get a warn 8274 model winch for $150.00 and it is complete and works. i think it needs new cable.
    what are some thoguhts?? good deal, great deal, i am stealing it?? gonna go and check it out this week.

thanks Carl

• I don't know much about winches, or what's a good deal, but here's the info on this one if it'll help someone else answer your question:

Premium Series: M8274-50

M8274-50 SELF-RECOVERY WINCH
    Loved by off-roaders who compete, the WARN M8274-50 is one of our fastest winches. No load retrieval speed is 73.4 feet per minute. At 150 feet of 5/16" cable, it also has a very long line capacity. Its unique spur-gear drive train and upright design are totally rugged and its braking system delivers smooth operation with superior heat dissipation. Roller fairlead, remote control on 12-ft. lead, free spool clutch and battery cables are included

M8274-50 SPECS/PART NUMBERS
    Part Numbers: PN 38631 (12V DC, CE), PN 375832 (24V DC, CE)
    Rated Line Pull: 8000 lbs. (3630 kgs.) single-line
    Motor: 12V 4.6 hp/3.43kw, 24V 2.5 hp/3.43kw, Series WoundTM
    Remote Control: Remote switch, 12' (3.7m) lead
    Geartrain: Spur Gear
    Gear Ratio: 134:1
    Lubrication: 6 oz. SAE 30 (non-detergent)
    Clutch (freespooling): Sliding Motor Pinion Gear
    Brake: Automatic, disc type
    Drum Diameter/Length: 3.5"/8.5" (9cm/22cm)
    Weight: 110 lbs. (50 kgs.)
    Wire Rope: 150', 5/16" diameter (46m, 8mm diam.)
    Fairlead: Roller
    Recommended Battery: 650 CCA for winching
    Battery Leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)
    Finish: Argent Gray Powder Coat with Clear Coat
    Nuts: PN 7616, L/W: PN 2146
    Bolts: PN 7165
    CE Winches: CE products are designed to meet European Standards. CE winches include CE labels, manuals, roller fairlead, safety hook and thimble.

Any other info can be found on Warn's Website

Looks like it goes for over $1K new on the sites I saw.

• i don't know much about winches, but if its only $150 and a brand new one is $1000. the first thing that pops in my mind is why is this person selling? is there anything wrong with it? have you seen it work (ie winched someone out of a problem) sounds like a great deal, just make sure... :up:

• Quote from "Falcon"

i don't know much about winches, but if its only $150 and a brand new one is $1000. the first thing that pops in my mind is why is this person selling? is there anything wrong with it? have you seen it work (ie winched someone out of a problem) sounds like a great deal, just make sure... :up:

...or, is it HOT?

It may be just old and the guy wants to get rid of it. You'd be surprised how many people won't buy something because it isn't NEW.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• a buddy of mine has it. he bought it dirt cheap i guess cause it needed new line...
    it does work and has all the parts.. controller .. may need a new fairlead... but i figure for 150 i would make it fit...

• And, if you need to spend the money on new line and fairlead, you can upgrade to synthentic line.

• Yeah what they said. You are raping whoever your buying if from. Those things are highly sought after cause of thier durability strength. They also have gobs of cable. I say get it and laugh all the way home.

Ed (Jealous that he is unemployed and doesnt have a winch)

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• That's a great price, if you don't buy it I will (and resell it on ebay for big profit!). That winch has been in production for a long time, but I hear it holds up well, even if it's an older one. I think Don (jump150) has one on his flattie...

• Quote from "cj7taz"

a buddy of mine has it. he bought

You failed to mention his name, and maybe an email address or phone number. :suspicious:

• Quote from "cj7taz"

nice.........

his name is Donald Duck...........lol :santa:

Your getting a Mickey Mouse winch? :question: :laughing:

I've read where the 12000 pound Mile Marker winches are comparable to the 8274 Warns, in terms of line speed. I don't think they are much more expensive either. I haven't priced any since it isn't in my immediate future.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• All of the mile marker electric winches are crap. They are nothing close to the warns I have used. My m8000 will out pull a mm12000. With that said they are still better than no winch at all.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!