need some education - steering

• ok, just had my 4.5 lift installed, put on 35x13.50's and I don't think my steering components like it. I'm getting a kinda "whine" when I turn the wheel. Not all the time though, seems to happen more when I've been driving for a while and mostly when I'm doing slow sharp turns, like a turn from a red light or backing out (and turning) from a parking spot. Also, it may be me but I think I'm getting more play in my steering wheel.

Does this make sense to anyone? Whats the solution? Thanks.

• my guesses... your angles on the draglink are bad. a drop pitman arm might help out with the play in the steering wheel.

the whining sound is probably your steering pump or box getting mad at you. The factory TJ boxes are pretty weak, or at least the older TJs are. I think JeepSahara went through 3 stock steering boxes (also on 35s). rev the motor a little higher and see if the while stops.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• is the fluid level where it should be? if its low it might make noise.

i dont think its the angles of any linkages. the angles of the drag link should match the panhard bar, if it doesnt you will get bumpsteer.

• bumpsteer means what exactly?

According to me it means when you hit a bump and the Jeep goes where it wants to go. I could be wrong though. lol Google returned this...

Definition: The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. This causes the wheels to change toe unevenly as the suspension undergoes jounce and rebound.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• The BDS system comes with a pitman arm so my guess is everything is lined up correctly anyway. Mine wines pretty bad with 35's too.

• correct that I already have the drop pitman arm, fluid was a little low. Added that and any whine went away. clicking noise had something to do with my front adjustable track bar having a bum end on it, Adam over at Everest in Newark found that little gem. I'm sure BDS will correct the situation. Actually already sold it and have a JKS front adj bar going on tomorrow.

We'll see if anything else comes up but I have a feeling that I'll be replacing/upgrading something with the steering box/pump before too long. It just feels like the weakest link in my set-up right now. (although axles are running a close second)

• stock pump and boxes dont like turning big knobby tires when they aren't moving or moving slowly. when i had SSR's on my jeep it was hard enough to turn but when i put the boggers on its whining all the time now even when full. im sure the lockers dont help either. oh well when this pump dies i'll rob one out of another CJ-7 til i do one tons

• i'd look closer to the reason why the fluid was low. you're correct that the pump doesn't like working with the heavier load...but a low reservoir would have even 27" RSA's whining! i think you'll be fine for now once you find the cause of the leak and get that taken care of. you'll have plenty of chances to replace steering parts down the road :)

• mine started coming out of the vent in the cap a few months ago and i never let it get below the add mark and the only time it ran low was after a flop when a good bit ran out, but it was only steering one tire then :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!