YJ harness in a CJ

• I was looking at the 94 YJ dash harness the other day and wondering if it were possible or practical to put that in a CJ in place of the old crappy factory harness and then hook it up to some more modern gauges. I mean, I can obviously rewire it or by a painless wiring harness if I honestly wanted to, but I just want to know if this was another option someone else might have tried.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• i know going the other way was a PITA. i put a CJ dash in my YJ and here are the major differences...though many can be corrected with digital gauges.

fuel sender is different. resistance shown on the CJ is different than a YJ...and it is not opposite i installed a sunpro gauge and it works. the factory would like to make the factory CJ gauge work but havent had time to troubleshoot.

94 YJ harness will have ECU speedo. the CJ is manual. dont know how that will effect the CJ though. the YJ needed that electronic speed sensor to keep from stalling. had to get a custom speed sensor for the transfer case that has both outputs on it.

coolant temp is different. havent looked into the details yet.

check engine light (i havent figured this one out yet)

these are the main wiring differences i have found. almost everything else can be cut and tapped

i would think installing a painless harness would be easier

• Go to all mechanical gauges in the CJ. Then all you'd need would be gauge lights, fuel sender wires, and volt meter wiring.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well my main concern was will it plug into the firewall plug for the wiring in the engine bay?

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!