Weekend Project - (Updated 5/16) Progress pics.

• I decided to start building a carrier for my rear receiver this weekend.

Here's the end result:

I just need to pick up a piece of expanded metal for the floor and paint it.

It's roughly 20" x 40" and will end costing about $30 for steel.

• that's nice looking keith! i really like the gooseneck receiver end on it. my rack that i put on the front of my jeep is just a straight shot out - it really hurt my approach angle when working my way into rausch creek's campsite :( this design would've made things much easier!!! :up: i'd say that your welding class is paying for itself already...
    chris

p.s. you should keep an eye out for those pesky kids...i heard they've been spraypainting everyone's license plates lately! :jester:

• Quote from "quadna71"

that's nice looking keith! i really like the gooseneck receiver end on it. my rack that i put on the front of my jeep is just a straight shot out - it really hurt my approach angle when working my way into rausch creek's campsite :( this design would've made things much easier!!! :up: i'd say that your welding class is paying for itself already...
    chris

Yeah, that was a prime concern.

I allowed enough clearance to run a 12.5" spare also.

I also only made it 40" wide so it wouldn't block the taillights.

Here's a couple more shots:

• Looks real good that is something that I have to do for the jeep after I get it running. I also want to make one of those cargo keepers that attach to the swing out and go above the spare tire carrier so I can have a basket on front and a rear.

• Looks really good! I wonder about the raised level, though. I found it to be quite a bit of a p.i.a. to have to unload the basket and pull the basket out of the receiver, just to open up the tailgate. I'd rather set it up low enough to be able to swing the tailgate out over the basket.

Or maybe for your next project, try a basket that swings out on a hinge to allow the tailgate to open without unloading and removing. I've seen bike carriers like that -- I'd buy one it I had anywhere to bring my bike (I don't cycle much these days!).

• Quote from "BlueJ"

Looks really good! I wonder about the raised level, though. I found it to be quite a bit of a p.i.a. to have to unload the basket and pull the basket out of the receiver, just to open up the tailgate. I'd rather set it up low enough to be able to swing the tailgate out over the basket.

Or maybe for your next project, try a basket that swings out on a hinge to allow the tailgate to open without unloading and removing. I've seen bike carriers like that -- I'd buy one it I had anywhere to bring my bike (I don't cycle much these days!).

It's a trade-off. The times I'll need it, I probably won't be opening the tailgate much anyway.

I thought about making some kind of hinged setup, but it would be pretty involved to support any kind of weight. As it is now, it'll probably hold 1000lbs. :rolleyes:

• Quote from "Falcon"

i think it turned out really good. now to try it out at a paragon camping trip or rausch creek trip!!! :rollsmile:

Thanks.

A couple of the guys on JU's fabricators forum suggested I add some detachable legs to it so when I leave to go wheeling it can be a camp table. I may just give it some thought. :smile:

• Good idea, but the receiver part will make it off balance unless you put one of the legs on it. Instead of making the legs detachable why not make them fold up and lock in with a pin. That way they would be self contained. I have some 4x4 think wall box channel you can use.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!