sail cloth vs denim

• This is related to the Viking thread but didn't want the question to get lost for all you who have gotten board with it. Are factory tops demin or sail cloth? I've only ever seen factory tops in person so don't really kow the differences. Sail cloth sounds flimsy so I'm guessing the factory tops are denim.

which is better?

• "black denim" is a color. You can get sailcloth tops in the "black denim" color. Sailcloth tops came from factory for TJs from 01-06. They are thicker and quieter than the 00-older tops.

"Sailcloth Replace-a-tops™ are the quietest soft tops on the market. The secret to this Jeep soft top lies in the unique multi-ply Sailcloth fabric. Each ply plays a different role, but together they reflect road sounds, absorb wind noise, and prevent buffeting to create a silencing effect that absolutely must be heard to be believed."

oops, this is Jerry at Arties computer.

• Sailcloth tops came from factory for TJs from 01-06. They are thicker and quieter than the 00-older tops.

It's also important to note that, from the factory, 4-ply sailcloth tops came on 01-02 TJ's whereas only 3-ply sailcloth tops were available on '03+ TJ's. Prior to '01 I believe the tops were only 1-ply

The extra ply definitely makes a difference...I can tell that my '01 TJ is quieter than Chris' '03 TJ.

• sailcloth is also harder to fold down, thats why i stuck with the regular material.

• The 4 ply sailcloth is damn near as quiet as a hardtop, but on those marginal days when it is warm during the day and chilly at night, it is really tough to get the top back up at the end of the day when you're half buzzed and you realize at 11pm that your Jeep is in the driveway with the top down. If you want the nice thick sailcloth... get a cab cover. Great combination.

• sailcloth is also harder to fold down, thats why i stuck with the regular material.

I'd have to agree...traded Jen's factory '00 top for an '02 sailcloth awhile back and while it was so nice last winter that we didn't bother putting the hardtop on hers it's a PITA as I have to do the top all the time. The material tends to be stiff and windows are difficult to get in...not to mention that the 'black diamond' material is like a friggin nail file and is hell on your knuckles. If my top wasn't torn I'd put it on hers as mine rarely has a top installed.

--Ian

• I have an '02 black denim sailcloth top which I believe is 4 ply. It is definitely quieter than the hardtop. It's the only TJ soft top I've ever put up and down, but I never had a problem. Even on cold days it is so much easier than a YJ top.

Unfortunately I keep the hardtop on 99% of the time so it just sits in the basement. If you're going to buy a top you're welcome to try this one and see if the extra ply is worth it to you.

• I appreciate it but I'm going with the Viking whenever it becomes avail. Just got confused by some of the wording on thier site. (made it sound like sail cloth and denim were two different types of top material)

• I'm actually liking the 4DR JK version...

X2 :up:
    [quote author=Viking]Jeep JK - 2 and 4 door
    We do have plans for a frameless top for the new JK's but no timeframe is available yet. They will follow the Jeep LJ and YJ tops. :doh:[/quote]
    Given their history, by the time they actually release it, my current one will be worn out anyway.

Also, FYI, I read a lot about the Off Road Heros tops and although not much on the internet is true, I read enough "questionable things" that I would stay away from them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!