Engine light?

• My engine light came on and a little while ago i bought code reader,it said po301,looked that up and said cylinder 1 misfire detected.Is this something i should worry about?Does anyone have any info on such a code.

Thanks Wayne

• Could be as simple as a bad spark plug, or a bad plug wire. Not sure what jeep its on, it could be the distributor or coil pack.

• My engine light came on and a little while ago i bought code reader,it said po301,looked that up and said cylinder 1 misfire detected.Is this something i should worry about?Does anyone have any info on such a code.

Thanks Wayne

i would get that code occasionally, prob from the engine getting excessively wet. ;D
    i wouldn't worry about it if it has only happened once.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• this time of year, it's common due to overheating. what was the engine temp when it happened? mine will start misfiring if it gets over 215 sitting.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• this time of year, it's common due to overheating. what was the engine temp when it happened? mine will start misfiring if it gets over 215 sitting.

ah, maybe that was the cause of mine. i am plagued with the overheating. :upset:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I believe his electric cooling fan is messed up. That's the only thing that can make a late-model XJ overheat. The engine has to have that extra air at slow speeds/parked.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I believe his electric cooling fan is messed up. That's the only thing that can make a late-model XJ overheat. The engine has to have that extra air at slow speeds/parked.

i believe you're right. in fact, earlier this week i installed a switch that overrides the thermostat so i can turn the fan to constant on when i'm wheeling. when the switch is off, the fan functions normally. that should fix my problem with the overheating.

~ JD

• Could be as simple as a bad spark plug, or a bad plug wire. Not sure what jeep its on, it could be the distributor or coil pack.

On 00+ , no wires , no real distributor . individual coils arent replaceable by the piece only as a coil rail .
    Just a bad plug . I replace mine every 30k miles

We are talking about your 04 correct ?

• I had a similar code, cyl 3 misfire, and cyl 5 misfire and a new set of plugs cleared them right up.

dont forget to gap the plugs when putting in the new ones...

• I had a code 301 and 302, and turned out to have a blown head gasket and cracked head :cuss:, which was because of me letting it run overheated :bang:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!