[b]need help fixing my front swaybar[/b]

• i have been trying to fix my front sway bar. but i am having difficulty removing the sway bar link the bolt will not come out i dont know if the head of it requires a certain kind of torx but 55 keeps slipping out and 60 is to big. if any one could give me some pointers or advice let me know

• Quote from "wtyarnall"

i have been trying to fix my front sway bar. but i am having difficulty removing the sway bar link the bolt will not come out i dont know if the head of it requires a certain kind of torx but 55 keeps slipping out and 60 is to big. if any one could give me some pointers or advice let me know

Sounds like the head is stripped out.

You might try getting some channel-locks or visegrips on it.

What kind of Jeep ?

• I would let the bolt and nut marinate in some PB Blaster then go at it with some vise grips, like Keith said.

HTH

-Chris

• Hey did you need the swaybars? i have been trying to get hold of you. If you want me to come help i might beable ot tomarrow night if you are free or thusday

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• i tryed channel locks but it feels like the bolt is stuck. i am probably gonna end up cutting it off and buying a new bolt.

its a 00' TJ

• Quote from "wtyarnall"

i tryed channel locks but it feels like the bolt is stuck. i am probably gonna end up cutting it off and buying a new bolt.

its a 00' TJ

Cutting the head off, be it with torch or grinder is only half the battle.

It's pretty hard to get to the back side of that bolt on a TJ. It's got that funky nut with a handle contraption because the nut in enclosed by the bracket for the trackbar.

You might be able to burn the nut off the back end and then pull the bolt out.

What is it that is wrong with the trackbar ?

BTW, welcome to the club. :wavey:

• Another trick is to take a grinder with a cut off blade and grind a slot into the head of the bolt. Then take one of those really big flat screw drivers that you typically use as a pry bar and try unscrewing it. Grinding the slot will heat the bolt up and sometimes it will be heated enough to break it free (much like a torch will do). If that doesn't work I'd try a torch but just to get it nice and red hot. Keep it hot for a while to give the heat a chance to travel down the bolt shank.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

I'd try a torch but just to get it nice and red hot. Keep it hot for a while to give the heat a chance to travel down the bolt shank.

That could melt the trackbar bushing.

Unsure if he's trying to salvage the trackbar or not.

• do you need the sway bars? if not i will take them back up north.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I have replacement track bars i dont have an extra bolt and nut though unless i go get one from the dealer ship or something. I might try grinding a slot in it to fit a screwdriver in there. thanks

Quote from "omaha"

do you need the sway bars? if not i will take them back up north.

I lost the reciept so i am just gonna keep the onesi have thanks anyway.

• If you know someone with a welder you can weld a nut on the head of the bolt and use a wrench to remove the bolt. :peace:

• Quote from "wtyarnall"

I have replacement track bars i dont have an extra bolt and nut though unless i go get one from the dealer ship or something. I might try grinding a slot in it to fit a screwdriver in there. thanks

You're going to have to replace the bolt regardless, as you will never be able to get it tight enough again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!