Choosing brake pads

• It's time to replace the front pads on my TJ and I'm looking for some direction on the best way to go. I have an 04 TJ 4.0, (running 35x13.50's on 15x10's if it matters). I moved to the Hawk pad/powerslot rotor combination awhile ago but haven't done any other brake mods.

Should I stick with Hawk pads or is there something better? They did last about twice as long as the factory pads but I'm still wearing through them pretty fast. If Hawk is the recommendation then I see about three different one's to choose from on Q-tec: HPS, LTS, and Ceramic. What are the pro's and cons? Thanks

• Nice but no $$$ for that right now. Need to stick to just replacing pads til after the holiday but definitely one to add to the wishlist!

• I like the ceramics b/c they keep wheels clean, but I hear they can can build up excessive heat and warp rotors.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Vanco's kit uses dual piston calipers... nice!

anyhow, for a lifted Jeep (especially with heavy tires and/or skids+winch) I suggest the LTS pads vs the HPS pads. They're designed for heavier loads (LTS= light truck/suv) so they should last a bit longer, too. I've got Powerslot and Hawk LTS for my XJ and it slows it nicely even with 200lbs for the bumper/winch. I noticed a dramatic increase in stopping distance and brake fade with stock brakes after I mounted the bumper and winch. Now, I can stop better than I did before the lift.

Ceramics are worthless, the only benefit is decreased dust. Hawk says they only make them because people have been convinced that they are somehow better than the semi-metallic pads. They are used OEM to keep the fancy wheels clean, not because they stop better. Powerslot and SSBC will tell you the same thing. Actually, I haven't noticed any dust at all from my Powerslot/Hawk LTS combo.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• As a side note, do you really have that much difference in stopping power? I have sooo much extra weight plus 35's and mine still stops as good as when it was stock. Certainly as good as my buddies stock 05 TJ. I guess that the stock 4-wheel disc brakes really do make that much difference? I have never touched the brake setup and all 4 corners are wearing perfectly.

• i have the Vanco kit - it utilizes EBC green pads and stops on a dime now. maybe you can get the EBC pads for a jeep application?

Mike at Northridge4x4 has them in stock .

• 4-wheel disc brakes really do make that much difference?

yes they really do. once we got icky's 8.8 all dialed in properly, her jeep could beat my jeep in stopping power - and that is with my jeep having the vanco kit in front. don't get me wrong, i could lock up my 37" front tires with ease once i installed it, but the rear drums really are lacking in a tj.

there are some unique break-in requirements with the EBC green pads too. they come with an abrasive coating on the pad that helps them seat squarely onto the rotor. that way you wouldn't have to turn the rotors beforehand as the coating will roughen up and square the mating surface on its own. once you have them installed, you need to bed them properly. it requires a number of consecutive near-stops from around 35mph followed by a cool down period and then another round of near-stops from closer to 50mph followed by a good 10 minutes cooling down on the highway. after that you'll have extremly responsive brakes. bedding the brakes is what i believe makes the biggest difference - even cheaper pads could probably benefit by that process. oh, if you ever notice your brakes not working as well as they used too, just rebed them and you'll think you have brand new pads/rotors again.

• For what it's worth, I just replaced the rotors and pads on my 98 TJ yesterday. Went to Advance Auto Parts and got the Wearever brand composite rotors (made in China, so you know they must be good!) and the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads (made in USA). Total was $113.09 with my 10% military discount. I was going to just throw on some pads and leave the rotors alone, but then I remembered that Mr. Obama wants me to redistribute my wealth to the local economy, so I splurged! ;D

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• But your splurging went to China. You could have just bought better pads.

Actually, I think I got the best rotors and the best pads they had. I wish the rotors were made in the U.S., but that's a whole new discussion.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!