Exhaust opinions, pros and cons

• I'm at the part of my project where I need to start figuring out what kind of exhaust I want to run. In terms of sound, I don't want anything real loud, just a very deep rumble, throaty sound. For this project. I'm not going for the two stroke dirtbike sound when i'm on the road since I want to be able to drive this to where I wheel, which pretty much cuts out cherrybombs immediately, even though they do sound pretty cool out wheelin. So any particular suggestions on types of and brands like flowmaster 30 series, flowmaster etc, or magnaflow whatever they have would be appreciated. With this I should add that the pipes will be going on to a 1986 chevy 350 in a 95 yj.

Also what is everyone's preference for the exhaust set up. there are so many pro's and con's, what is the best way to go in deciding....dual exhaust (dumping in front of the tires since the gas tank in the rear is offset to the drivers side with only room for one exhaust), dual exhaust dumping over rear axle, both duals out to infront of 1 rear tire, trying to squeeze both duals out of the gap next to the gas tank at the passenger side rear, or just go 2 into 1 and out the back with a factory look?

Anyone who has experienced the same dilemma or anyone who just has an opinion on exhausts please help me out. thank you.

• What engine do you have now.

u said a 86 350 going in it?

so im guesing u have a 4.2 in it. with any engine whe you go to big you lose torque. so my suegtion would be to keep the exhaust u have on it now. because you ARE GOING to have to change it whe the three fity goes in.

when the three fity goes in what does it have...

intake?
    Heads?
    Carb or Injected?
    Headers or Manifolds?
    where do you want the exhaust to exit. in the perfect world

cause when u have dumps on either side with no cross over such as a h pipe or idlealy x pipe the thing sounds differnt. tell me some things about the 350 like cam and such. were you want exhaust to come out and the estimate hp-100hp and i will tell u how to make most power and torque with the best sound. also what kind of driving do you do/

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

• Simple answer... I prefer the Delta 40 series. I have used them on a few different vehicles. I don't think they are too loud at all (have used with 1 350 ansd 1 351w). I have seen many Jeeps with dual exhaust, so I am sure it can be done. Thats the best way to have it so that fumes do not roll up and into the cab when you are sitting at a light or rock crawling. When you start dumping at the axles and in front onf the tires on a Jeep, that is very close to the cab area and the fumes come right in. I have mine dumped rightafter the tcase skid due to the way my suspension is set-up and I cannot ever get away from the fumes...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• i currently have the 350 in it,, just not up and running yet due to some last minute details (like wiring, electric fuel pump install, radiator)..yea i know its a bit more than a last minute details, it use to have a stock inline 4 cyl. but i'm thinking in advance. the 350 is all stock with a carb. and i think those 86's get around 275 or + hp. In the perfect world i'd like for the exhaust to dump out of the rear, but since i have to replace the tank for sending unit purposes, and maybe center it in the process, i dont know if i should do duals or not. because then i have to find space for the X or H pipe, buy two of everything (cats and mufflers), and i'm a little on the budget. and by budget i mean i'm in college with little income but my 'budget' of no set amount in dollars always seems to stretch with this project.
    Long story short, I want the pipes to be put where they are most out of the way from being crushed, at the correct size to optimize torque and power and of course to sound good and healthy. Since I do a lot of road driving, i dont really want it to be screaming, but when i get on it when i'm wheeling i want it to sound like it has some balls...thats why i think a throaty, deep, rumble would be a good compromise. But what do i need to achieve these hopes and dreams? size of pipe? exit of pipe? duals or 2 into 1?

• you can do anything. yeah so a stock 86 has about 190 hp. but they are torqy. do you have header, if so what size collector. i would do 2 1/4 to a 3 inch with a single exhaust out to back in stock location. i would run a high flow cat and a, more then likeyl a 50 serise. you could run up to atlanctic speed and get the knock off flow master. thats what i have on my nova and it sounds dirty. and they are only like 60 bucks.

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

• oo..didnt know about such low hp, i got it for the torque but i still thought it had more. kind of a gut check but still good to know. thanks for all the help guys, atleast now i have some direction.

• thats why i said you estimate hp-100. throw a eldy perfomer intake and a decent carb and it will fine for what you will be doing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!