TheMistaken's D60 Buildup/Install

• I do not think that I may have to shorten the shafts... If any, just a tad. There is a place in Salisbury that balances and does all new ujoints for $45... Cust cut off the yoke, trim tube, and reweld?

I am doing all of my own labor. It is just the rear that I am going to take somewhere to get "bored" for the 35 splnes. I have all of the tools. Tires will come when they do. I am so unsure abouyt the tires, it is not worth me even trying to add them in anytime soon. Brackets I am getting cheap. I should be able to do all I want with what I am budgeting. I am going to get 35 spline front outers from Advance since i have a dealer account with them. Then I will use Solid or Rock Crusher drive slugs.

I keep seeing more and more I would love to do with the axles though!!

Ian, look into west Texas Offroad's Rock Ram for the Hydro Assist. I am sending my box and pump away to him and he is going to mod them and make them both a high flow and get rid of my durango box's internal stops. He is going to completely rebuild them while he is at it. Then when he sends it back he will be sending all of the lines, mount brackets, ram, and so on. $300... well worth it...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• ahhh dernit! what a time to be out of a job... The ARBs look cheaper than my employee prices, although I'd prefer to pick up a 8.25 Truetrac.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Ian, look into west Texas Offroad's Rock Ram for the Hydro Assist. I am sending my box and pump away to him and he is going to mod them and make them both a high flow and get rid of my durango box's internal stops. He is going to completely rebuild them while he is at it. Then when he sends it back he will be sending all of the lines, mount brackets, ram, and so on. $300... well worth it...

$300? It's $499 on his site. Even for $300 I'll prob go the DIY route... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55711

Prices from surplus center have changed a bit but it looks like it's about $112+shipping. I'll likely swap out to a durango box at the same time as mine leaks like a sieve and has definitely seen better days.

Add a few bolts and some misc steel to fab some mounts...

--Ian

• Just make sure you get a box without the internal stops or you will loose a bunch of steering from them... Ask me how I know :doh: My box wont let me get any closer then a 1/4" to the steering stock on my 30... BOO!!

With the prices that i found for the E-lockers, I think I am going to end up going selectable front and rear. Would be nice to drive on the street that way. We will see...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• ahhh dernit! what a time to be out of a job... The ARBs look cheaper than my employee prices, although I'd prefer to pick up a 8.25 Truetrac.

Jerry, i've been giving serious consideration to swapping out my truetrac for an ARB. if i happened to have a buyer for the detroit, it might give me a little push... ;D

edit: sorry, i had my nomenclature wrong. mine is not the truetrac, it is the fully-locking detroit. still thinking about the swap to ARB, though. already have ARB in the front.

[/hijack]

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Is the ratio the same as in the Durange box? I know I easy turn 37s with just my box... I got my box super cheap as well... And it was bolt on.

• So this is what I have ordered so far...
    Axle Brackets (mix between Clayton, Ballistic, and Ruff Stuff)
    5.38 Gears, one std, one Reverse
    Install kits
    Front Ruff Stuff truss
    Rear Clayton truss
    Rear Disk Brackets

The fun begins on Monday when the Clayton stuff arrives.

• I assume you're going with the 3/4ton chebby front discs in the rear? What soft lines are you using? I seem to remember the ones I'd seen in a writeup were way too long...dig around on pirate for the exact application but I wanna say mine are from a mid-70's monte carlo, mebbe?

BTW, gonna move this to the mods forum as it's turning into more of a build thread/discussion...

--Ian

• I believe that the ones I used for my 8.8 would work well. I have not gotten the calipers and all yet to see what exactly it is that I am going to need.

• Is the ratio the same as in the Durange box? I know I easy turn 37s with just my box... I got my box super cheap as well... And it was bolt on.

It is super easy to turn the 37's... almost too easy...

As for carrier bearing removal tool.. WHy do you want to remove the carrier bearings? I thought you were replacing the carrier...

• You know, I have never had good luck with seperators... I have been looking at the complete offroad tool for sometime now, but it is hard to justify $400 for a tool I may not use but once a year (if that)...

• steal it :suspicious:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• I'm using a separator like turtles in my press or w/ a puller...either way works for me. Mine's an ancient splitter I got out from my grandfather's old tools.

Ed- Random question...did you do the ORO uturn at the same time as the durango box by chance?

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!