TheMistaken's D60 Buildup/Install

• So I have been running Detroits front and rear for a few years now and with my Dana 60s I am looking into something selectable. I am tired of pushing my front end through turning while wheeling. What kind of selectable lockers are some of you running, how do you like them, and have you had any problems. I am looking into the ARBs, Ected, Ox, and such. I am really leaning away from the ARBs due to buying a pump. I also really like the cover that the OXs come with. So lets here some opinions. Please no factory Air Locker or LSD talk.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• thought about 2low?

Turn and run fast from the Ected. They're really just a very tight LSD. It uses a magnetic to squeeze the clutch pack together. The Eaton Elocker is better but not designed for anything more than stock tires (per a head tech guy at Eaton, only the D30 has been designed for abuse).

The ARBs aren't bad, just think of it as an excuse to have onboard air. ;) Ox lockers are good, too. Haven't seen many problems with them, but their customer service department is often AWOL.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I like my ECHTED. Never had it fail me yet. I might not abuse it as much as you will though Ed. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I've had an Eaton E-Locker for two years. Works good i run 35's and wheel every couple months and haven't had any problems so far.

• only two I would look at is the ARB and/or the OX.

biggest drawback are the ARB needs a pump and the OX lockers can be VERY tricky to dial in the cables to engage properly. Also, Customer service has been an issue in the past

For my money, if you are going selectable, go ARB. Reason being is there is no "what if's" with them. Ox has too many question marks as far as CS, ownership, etc.

• Well with the OX you get a nice diff cover too...

I have decided to run a detroit in the rear and an selectable in the front. If I have the extra 400 I will make the rear a selectable

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• ARB is a highly proven locker with a great track record for customer service. the pump only runs you $150 and will run both axles...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_902.htm

i run the little pump on mine (front only ARB, rear is detroit). when i first did the install, a lot of guys insisted that i was making a mistake by wasting my money on the little pump instead of oba, but i don't regret it a bit.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Just do OBA and run arb's off of it... they are by far the simplest and most proven selectables on the market...I had an arb pump and OBA but the redundancy was getting to me so I pulled the small pump and just plumbed them into my york... $35.00 at grainger, another $5.00 at mcmaster carr (stupid british threads) and it was done....

• Eh...I've had really good luck with the Elocker in my front axle...I've beat the ever living piss outta it w/ 37's and haven't had issues. Nice and easy install as well...run a single wire to the unit. I've also run ARB's and Ox's in the past. I'd likely go ARB over the Ox but that's mostly due to packaging as it is easier to route the airlines and set up the electrical portion then it was to route the cables, mount the shifters, and properly adjust the lockers.

--Ian

• The spool would be nice, however I think i am going to start to bring the jeep back on the road somewhat

• I have decided to run a detroit in the rear and an selectable in the front.

...I think i am going to start to bring the jeep back on the road somewhat

that configuration and being on the road all the time will not have you happy. if you're going the extra mile to have it more streetable, just wait another month, pony up the cash, and put selectables in both ends.
    chris (can't wait to swap his detroit for an ARB...aaron, is your lift in yet? :) )

• Tire squeal means tire wear! HAHA :razz:

I know all about the detroit being in the rear, I have one there now and ran it for about 4k on the road before taking the jeep off the road. If I drive the thing anywhere it will be around here and that is it. I am still going to be trailering to wheel and all. We will see... I may end up doing ected's in both... Who the hell knows though.

Ian, Does yours act like Jerry said, or does it positively lock?

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• The Elocker is a locker (uses a magnet to activate, instead of air or a cable), the Ected is the one that squeezes the clutch packs, so they wear out if you use them wrong (primarily turning it on or off when the tires are spinning) or don't turn them on before you hit a sticky spot.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd likely go ARB over the Ox but that's mostly due to packaging as it is easier to route the airlines and set up the electrical portion then it was to route the cables, mount the shifters, and properly adjust the lockers.

--Ian

That is a very good point regarding the running of the cables. It took a couple mistakes to get mine right but it has been very reliable since then. The adjustment is really not that difficult (unless I've just gotten used to it).

FYI, in addition to the cable, OX does offer air and electronic actuation although they are a little new to the market for any realistic reviews.

• Ian, Does yours act like Jerry said, or does it positively lock?

Locks in a similar fashion as an ARB...the magnet pulls a ring over that locks the spiders in place. It's held up well for me in my front 60. Still running a Detroit in the rear and it's been bulletproof (as expected).

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!