TheMistaken's D60 Buildup/Install

• So the saga begins... Air hammer did nothing to get these damn plates off. I am getting ready to pull out the torch... Hopefully I fo not warp the knuckle... If anything I will start to cut the plates off by the end of the day...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• those plates on bottom are a pita. i finally got mine off with the air hammer. i used a punch bit and stuck it in one of the mounting holes and got it to spin. then used a chisel point to get in between the knuckle and plate. after you get it moving spray it down good.

• I had bolts in each one break so i could not just spin it. I finally got it up though. I few tools thrown in the garage and 30 minutes of a torch and they both came off. Now to get the broken bolts out if the knuckles... I am starting to hate these axles already.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• I got them out with my 20-ton press... That was game over before it started. I set one side on a stool and one side in the press and then put a shit ton of pressure on them, heated them up and out they came... Rather rapidly...

• Good way to measure the caster angle? Right here it is at like 3* up (top of the "C" rotated back towards the pinion). Any suggestions?

• you need a machined surface for the caster. would be more accurate. i measure the caster after i put the knuckles back on with the high steer arms or the kingpin caps. thats a nice square surface. those kingpins look pretty rusty

• It really is not rusty. There is a lot of dirt/grease build up and residue. The surface is still smooth. and machined. There is not any pitting or anything. Yea the color looks weird, but the grease was all that color... I am replacing them either way, but as of right now, there is nothing wrong with them...

Well the steering is the last thing that I am doing. What if I just use the top of the king pin then? What should the appropriate/preferred angle be? Kind of like this...

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• 4-6 deg will make a good ride on the street. heres the deal, you will need to have full wieght on the axle with the tires on. caster should be done last after you have everything on the jeep. is that a pic of your jeep?

• he cannot do caster last, he is doing coils.... so he has to do it first... you could approximate caster from measuring at either the steering arm or the top of the king-pin but you are not actually measuring the caster of the axle... to do that you have to remove the upper king pin and put a piece of steel through both the upper and lower hole in the inner C...... it is not easy to do.....honestly as long as it is close you can adjust it with the arms so I really wouldn't split hairs on it.....just how ever you do it make sure both sides are equal.,.....

• If I take a piece of thin flat stock, tiny tack it vertically on the C, paralell to the center line of the king pin holes, that will be able to give me my most accurate reading without getting overboard with it, correct? I just want to make sure this shit is right...

• Ian, do you remember the name of the machine shop that you took your rear axle to? I am having issues finding someone to take the entire axle. If I were to cut the spndles of however, no problem. I just do not wan to go through all of that work for no reason...

• Ian, do you remember the name of the machine shop that you took your rear axle to? I am having issues finding someone to take the entire axle. If I were to cut the spndles of however, no problem. I just do not wan to go through all of that work for no reason...

Diamond State Machining in Farmington.

• I just dropped the axle off to have the spindles bored. That shop is freakin nice. Not the neatest or cleanest, but they have a huge water jet, a huge laser table, a 25' lathe, a huge press break, and a full fab shop. NICE!! I am going to be picking it up when I get back from Germany on the 26th or 27th. The rest of my crap should be here by then too... Hopefully these axles will be in and almost 100% hooked up by the middle of March... Happy B-Day to me (3/3) :innocent:

• I just dropped the axle off to have the spindles bored. That shop is freakin nice. Not the neatest or cleanest, but they have a huge water jet, a huge laser table, a 25' lathe, a huge press break, and a full fab shop. NICE!! I am going to be picking it up when I get back from Germany on the 26th or 27th. The rest of my crap should be here by then too... Hopefully these axles will be in and almost 100% hooked up by the middle of March... Happy B-Day to me (3/3) :innocent:

You see the size of the lathe they'll be using? I bet they could've damn near chucked the whole Jeep in the friggin thing. You can thank Jen's dad for recommending them...

--Ian

• I can only assume all of you have done the disks in the rear. What did you do for a parking brake? Anything?

I found that using a 76-78 Cadillac Eldorado rear caliper will give you a built in e-brake, but the bracket for it looks a little off and maybe odd for a good linear pull.

• I figured as much, but my luck is that I will have to stop on some up hill green, get out of the jeep, my tranny will slip, and then the jeep will go unmaned backwards down the mountiain...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!