clicking/tapping

• i've been hearing a clicking sound that follows the speed of the vehicle under acceleration. speed up and the tapping speeds up; it gets quiet when coasting. seemed a u-joint or double-cardan problem. i removed the front driveshaft, no change. removed rear driveshaft, no change. what could it be?

2000 XJ, 4.0, auto, 242 tc

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• remove the front axle and give it a go! :razz: ... maybe the outside U-joint? :shrug: although I was under the impression that U-joint failure was harmonic at a specific speed.

• if you remove the front axle shafts make sure you put a dummy shaft in the bearing or bearing seperation could occure.

• Could is an understatement, ask Slick! Check the trans and Tcase fluids just for shits and grins. Is it speed orriented or RPM oriented?

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• if you remove the front axle shafts make sure you put a dummy shaft in the bearing or bearing seperation could occure.

this morning, i think i've all but eliminated it coming from an axle. the tapping is too fast. i.e., it taps a few times per tire rotation. i'm geared to 4.56, and that sounds about right to me as far as the how many clicks i hear per how far i travel.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Check the trans and Tcase fluids just for sh*ts and grins. Is it speed orriented or RPM oriented?

speed. it must be in my drivetrain i'm thinking transfer case. ;(

~ JD

• John did you figure out problem?I had clicking noise and vibration when i left pines i dropped driveshafts also and changed fluids now after 3rd time powerwashing drivetrain it whent away!also more i drove it, it got a little better each time. :shrug:

Wayne

• i've been hearing a clicking sound that follows the speed of the vehicle under acceleration. speed up and the tapping speeds up; it gets quiet when coasting. seemed a u-joint or double-cardan problem. i removed the front driveshaft, no change. removed rear driveshaft, no change. what could it be?

how about TWO bad driveshafts? yep, both front and rear double-cardans.

~ JD

• Now, that takes some effort! ;) Good job!

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• talked to Tom yesterday. they repaired and shipped the rear driveshaft at no charge.

i know that some people aren't fans of Woods, but i certainly am. i have had nothing but great experiences with their customer service.

~ JD

• talked to Tom yesterday. they repaired and shipped the rear driveshaft at no charge.

now i have a quandary about how to proceed with the front shaft. i'm wheeling next saturday, the 21st. unless i pay for expedited shipping both ways, there is almost no chance of it reaching Woods and getting back to me by next friday.

i need to decide between:

1. having two good shafts for wheeling, which means i spend $100 or much more just for shipping.

2. take my chances with an iffy double-cardan. maybe it will survive, maybe not. if it survives, i'm good. if it breaks, it could ruin my day, and i might wish that i had spent the hundred bucks. but it could also cause collateral damage, in which case it will cost me more than the two-way shipping would have cost, and i'll be really pissed at myself for not playing it safe.

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• i need to decide between:

1. having two good shafts for wheeling, which means i spend $100 or much more just for shipping.

2. take my chances with an iffy double-cardan. maybe it will survive, maybe not. if it survives, i'm good. if it breaks, it could ruin my day, and i might wish that i had spent the hundred bucks. but it could also cause collateral damage, in which case it will cost me more than the two-way shipping would have cost, and i'll be really pissed at myself for not playing it safe.

or 3. find a stock shaft to throw on for wheeling next week. when i get my Woods shaft back, i'll have a trail spare.

~ JD

• how about TWO bad driveshafts? yep, both front and rear double-cardans.

diagnosis conclusive. the test drive after installing a $25 junkyard front shaft was the first time in weeks that it didn't sound like someone was banging on the bottom of the jeep with a stick.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!